Headset help needed

Nieky

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I just picked up a replacement fork for my Carlton frame of ebay. I have two headsets lying around, but I can't get the cup and locknut screwed on the steerer. I remembered that the fork was advertised as vintage Carton/Raleigh/Dawes but without a date, so I now suspect it may well have a 26 TPI steerer whereas my headsets are 24TPI. How do I check this? Is it literally just a matter of putting a ruler next to it and counting the number of threads in an inch? And if it is 26TPI, what would be a good source to pick up a replacement headset? Ebay seems either stupid expensive, or 1 1/8" instead of 1". Does anyone have a 26TPI headset for sale?

Thanks!

Thanks. After measuring it a few times I ampretty sure it is a 1” 26 TPI steerer. Is there a good place to pick up a headset? Recutting threads should be last resort I feel (unless I am being silly here).

Hi there, I broke up a Carlton Courette about 5 years ago, bike was dated 1979/1980.
I disposed of the frame & forks however I kept a few of the components including the chrome cup and locknut and ball-bearings. See attached pic.
I think it is 26 TPI. I tried screwing it on to a 1960 Raleigh Trent fork (see pic) and it screwed straight on.
Wondering if this is any use to you? (£5 inclusive of postage)
97AE262D-1D69-41AD-959A-E4B990D5FA3C.jpeg

Hi there, I broke up a Carlton Courette about 5 years ago, bike was dated 1979/1980.
I disposed of the frame & forks however I kept a few of the components including the chrome cup and locknut and ball-bearings. See attached pic.
I think it is 26 TPI. I tried screwing it on to a 1960 Raleigh Trent fork (see pic) and it screwed straight on.
Wondering if this is any use to you? (£5 inclusive of postage)
View attachment 621342

For £5 is happy to give that a go! I’ll message you. Thanks!

Back