Headset and stem removal

Going back to your first idea for a headseet removal tool an old seat post cut up is perfick an old ally one is best. Made one myself as i had a very tight headset to remove and it popped out easily.

Yes, that would have been perfect. I have one from the bike too as I destroyed it getting it out as it was so stuck in.

Re:

I'm there. BB fixed cup removed with a version of the Sheldon Brown method i.e. whatever I could find in the garage and £1 spent at the local hardware store. Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 248
Re: Re:

thebobajob":ykuiq51i said:
widowmaker":ykuiq51i said:
The allen bolt on the top of the stem should free the stem from the forks without the need to remove the headset.

So It looks like its stuck, I have never had this myself so I would await further retrobike tips. In the meantime spray some penetrating oil if you can get some down the underside of the forks.

Hmm, that's what I thought and I have been soaking from above and below. I'll await further tips and continue to soak.

Thanks
Bob
When you loosened the bolt in the stem top did you just slack it a small amount /not take it completely out place a piece of wood or some other protection over the head & give it a sharp hit with a hammer( don"t go mad ) the reason most of that type of stem have a tapered wedge which is pulled up into the taper on the stem bottom, with a small nib on the wedge & a slot in the stem to stop the wedge revolving & not tightening ( not cut at an angle like the later ones that slide up offset ) If you"ve already done this & still no movement, Sorry you have a problem. some times trapping the stem in a vise ( protected jaws) & sliding a length of wood with cloth around the end as close a fit as you can get between the fork blades right up & touching the underside of the fork crown ( tie in position with string) & GENTLY work back & forward may free it off. If that fails it"s really serious. Good luck Missed the boat again, Glad it"s sorted.

Back