Headset and stem removal

Either that or a long screwdriver or any piece of metal from inside the head tube.........we used to call them a "drift" BITD :)

Shaun

Midlife":vcvb0bun said:
Trick is to move the "drift" around in a circle while tapping out if that makes sense.

Shaun

Yes, a bit at a time. I also haven't quite worked out how I can get the fixed side of the BB out either. Lacking on tools for this kind of thing just jumped in feet first!

Have you got a really good vice? Local bike shop can usually whip out the fixed cup for very little money,

Does it look like this?

IMGP0275.JPG

or are the flats at the edge of the cup like this

SBBC0005A-2.jpg

Shaun

Re:

The bottom bracket cup you indicate is Raleigh, I thought it looked like a Raleigh head set. Both will be 26 threads per inch, not the old standard 24.
The RH cup is Left Hand thread.

Keith

Re: Re:

keithglos":2g5czldn said:
The bottom bracket cup you indicate is Raleigh, I thought it looked like a Raleigh head set. Both will be 26 threads per inch, not the old standard 24.
The RH cup is Left Hand thread.

Keith

Thanks Keith, good to note. I had also read about making a tool from a bolt and washers to remove the fixed cup but I think I will go down the LBS route as no doubt they will whip it out in a jiffy.

I didn't realise this would involve so much reading and watching YouTube videos but it's all fun.

The LBS should have a tool like the one below that clamps onto the BB cup and then removed with the T-Bar. It has interchangable heads to fit various bottom brackets. The one in our bike shop BITD was a lot beefier than the one in the pic :D

img_1258.jpg

Shaun

Headtube races removed! Used large long bolt and hammer (my screwdriver was getting destroyed). Worked a treat. Thanks guys. Just the BB fixed cup to go.

Latest posts

Back