Has anybody built up a real 80's era Klunker a la Schwinn?

ti_pin_man

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just saw an advert for a 40's Schwinn frame and fork a la Marin county Klunkers build and wondered if anybody had built one up using an original chassis over here in the UK. I have a hankering to build one up for dirt riding but I guess frame and forks are going to be stateside so difficult on price due to shipping/import. Anybody done it or know any European sources of these mass produced frames?

Can you see where I'm going with this? Usually such 'bright' ideas end up costing me, lol. I guess the alternative might be basing it on an old UK frame, pre mountain bike mass production , if so, any recommendations? Ideas? My childhood was Grifters and choppers. But that wouldnt work.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55789&hilit=SCHWINN

3532487921_7719b4e23b_b.jpg

Re:

Have this one almost completed :mrgreen:

1942 Cleveland Welding Company Roadmaster

Attachments

• klunker.jpg
    klunker.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 1,135
Been considering one for a while, seeing that purple one finished (with drums in the other thread) has made my mind up.

Hunt is on.

Re:

I'm building one from a 1996 schwinn cruiser deluxe re-issue. Some period parts, some new.

The was also Si's klunker on here, a completely period correct excelsior. Absolutely stunning bike.

edit: thats the one the big cheese posted above, it was green the last time I saw it... at glentress, bombing down spooky woods in the dark. :)

legrandefromage - thats just beautiful, almost too good to ride.

If anybody knows of any frames and forks let me know, the hunt is on.

Re: Thread resurrection

I recently finished building this Schwinn cruiser. Chicago built frame from 1975. Brought over by my brother to the UK where they are quite rare.
Was rather rusty so I had it blasted and powdercoated.

I added some Schwinn decals last week, no pics of that yet

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 580
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 580
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 580
Back