Handmade British History.

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I was lucky enough to see both remaining unicorns on eBay last weekend. 
Unfortunately I only equalled the winning bid on one and lost out. 
Lucky though, the second didn't have much interest and I won it for £35. Not quite the bargain of my £5 Diamondback but still pretty good. 

I picked it up today, not NOS but the best condition one I've seen since the early 90's and in British racing green. 

It's a real piece of handmade British mountain bike history, an icon. All of you will have heard of it but very few will have ridden one, always causing a debate when mentioned on here. 

As soon as I got back I put the wheels back on and took her for a ride. 
The six speed gearing was as clunky as I remember from BITD, the cantilever brakes (with upside down pads) which were frightening poor I discovered on the first downhill on wet cobbles! Like every bike I seemed to own BITD, the crank was loose giving a similar to Biopace type feeling, the gears jumped every √10 revolution, the saddle kept slipping and inserting itself and finally the horizontal dropouts with not tight enough axle meant I kept having to kick the rear wheel back into the correct position. But, it was the most fun I've had on a bike in ages. 

I'm going to build it with a (sort-of) period XTR groupset, British Ti forks (or Bombers) Ti bars, Hope wheels and brakes TBC. 

Last time I saw a horse wth a horn was when I was 16 and watching films I shouldn't have been

any pics?..... of the bike i mean?

The steerer arrived today and I've started making the insert for it to bolt to the crown and also the sleeve for the crown race to sit on.

cdJNU-Ou_original.jpg

Why do so many folk like guessing games :?

What happened to just proudly boasting look what I've got !

Fellow in the Yorkshire group hinted and hinted, even showed a pic of the repainted frame but refused to put us out our misery. Its just cruel :(

sylus":e2zgviry said:
Last time I saw a horse wth a horn was when I was 16 and watching films I shouldn't have been

it was unicorn so must be Blade Runner.

velomaniac":1u0faaga said:
Why do so many folk like guessing games :?

What happened to just proudly boasting look what I've got !

Fellow in the Yorkshire group hinted and hinted, even showed a pic of the repainted frame but refused to put us out our misery. Its just cruel :(

I don't like to bragg!
Although when you see it you'll probably be disappointed, or shocked, or hysterical.
Most likely disappointed.

tintin40":1u0faaga said:
sylus":1u0faaga said:

it was unicorn so must be Blade Runner.

Stylus wrote this because the thread title was "horse with horns" but I changed it.

I won't be disapointed, beside me in my office as I type is my newly aquired Emmelle Dolomite frame. It takes a great deal to disapoint me :LOL:

It's in a different league to a 'Domomite Emmelle', I won't say which way though!
Is this an Emmelle painted in Klein Dolomite colours?

Latest posts

Back