** Handlebar Widths - what do you use?? **

Re:

Is the fashion for ever longer bars a bit like the fashion for short straight bars was?

My widest bars are FSA XC180 and I find my hands wonder in to a narrower stance.

So the answer is ride for a while and see where you hands starts to align themselves. Cut to match (but leave a cm or so you can play around)

I've recently gone from 630 to 750 on my racey hard tail. Shrank the stem by 20 mm at the same time. Barely notice any difference TBH. I'm good at picking lines and ride pretty light (I'm nearly 10 kilos over the weight limit on my 4 year old lightweight race wheels, they done lots and lots of rocky, rooty, high speed descending, with very soft tyres, and haven't been touched!) so this extra leverage they all bang on about hasn't been needed, it just makes the steering slightly lighter when I'm doing the same stuff, if you see what I mean.
Going too wide has given me some laughs, a mate bought some 850 ish risers for his trail bike, and on the twisties he can only effectively reach one grip when he gets to the tightest rolling turns...... He's about 5 foot 3.
Most of my mtbs are between about 730 and 780. Any wider and they start getting harder to control.

Re:

I use 720mm wide bars on my "do-it-all" modern bike, and to be honest I'm thinking of going wider to say 780mm or somewhere near.
I was a late convert to wider bars, but on a modern full-sus bike at least, they do make a lot of sense.

I'm just wondering if my bike will fit through the door to go ride it if I fit 780mm bars! :LOL:

Re: Re:

RobMac":2ltypz3l said:
I use bars between 630mm & 690mm, I like bars just a little bit wider than my shoulders I don't want to look like a flying squirrel :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

Bullpup":2ltypz3l said:
velofrog":2ltypz3l said:
920..... :shock:

And there I am looking for some 800s!

That's a bit narrow/racey isn't it! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Re:

560mm on the Sbike (with bar ends)

560mm on the Scott (no bar ends)

575mm on the Bulls (with bar ends), but that's as small as I can get it without sacrificing the bar ends. Everything is mounted as close to the center as possible.

Haven't measured the Laïti (it's in storage), but pretty sure that's below 600mm too

Re:

680 for me on both Lava Dome and Soul , got rid of bar ends a couple of years ago due to a low speed tumble causing the bar end to chip a bone in my wrist !

750 on my VooDoo, no bar ends.....love em. Opens up the shoulders, very comfortable.
600 on my Eldridge with Bar Ends.

Re:

720 on the Orange and the Pace and 800 on the Fatty. I still find my hands getting near the ends on the 720s.

Back