Half link chain.. and singlespeed questions

From experience; If you don't have a ss specific frame use either a tensioner,eno hub or retro fit eccentric bb.
Get an ss specific sprocket and chainring.

+1

i met charlie at ssuk09 , he took the time to come over and have a chat , top bloke :D

next one is in wales , thatl be a long drive . but some other people are planning a midlands singlespeed race for next year :D

Si just picked up the post and thought I'd add my 2p.. .

I set up a SS on a klein adroit with micro dropouts. Furst thing was I sorted the chainline on the rear, re-spacing the rear hub, and running the front ring in the 'inner' position. Asjustable line BB was in as far as I could go without stay rub.
I used a program I found on the net (on my old works computer, and I can't find it browsing now. I think it was called"SS convert.exe"). If you measure accurately , centre to centre your stay lehgth, and enter the gear you want to run, it'll tell you if it'll work, and if the chain will be loose, tight or ideal. IIRC, I ran 42/15, as it was a work commuter.
I ran the half link chain too, cos it looked cool, but it was HEAVY. It was fine strength wise. But on cutting and joining, the chainplates aren't as 'pressed together' as on a modern 3/32" chain, so the bush fell out and it was a bit fingers and thumbs to join again. WIthout a decent chain tool, I can very well see how a bad join and a poor reputation for the chain can result.

Again, just my 2p, I think a SS is elegant as its so clean (esp with a backpedal or hub brake), and a tensioner doesn't look so cool, if you ca avoid it, but also it makes life a LOT easier, esp if you're experimenting with gearing. White ENO again solves some of this, but wheel chaning is a bit more fiddly as you need 3 hands, and its a LOT more expensive. ..

PM me your email addy again mate and I'll see if I can dig some pix. . .
Its not a SS any more as I use it offroad, but I'm pretty sure I have some pix. .

Somebody mentioned a retro fit eccentric BB, thats not possible is it unless you get a frame builder to fit the correct sized shell ???

Be great if it was :D :cool:

There's an eccentric BB which fits in a normal shell now.
Someone will be along in a minute who remembers what it's called. :oops:

chris667":14jmggoa said:
There's an eccentric BB which fits in a normal shell now.
Someone will be along in a minute who remembers what it's called. :oops:

Yes there are a couple of companies making them,athough only compatible with octalink 2 style 24mm axle chainsets with the granny ring tabs machined down.St johns street cycles sells one sort and forward components makes another,quite expensive though.

My 2p worth on half links.

I've been using a Wipperman one on a 1 1/8" Miche track chain with no problems for a few years and several thousands of miles with no problems on the fixed gear.

Back