Half link chain.. and singlespeed questions

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just to mix it up a bit, I use an Eno eccentric hub, eliminating the need for a tensioner or hakf links. Total hassle free solution and clean looking. Not sure he wants to spend the dosh though.

Nah! that would be nice, but he does'nt have that sort of money to spend.. :)

So far build is less than £ 50.00 :) ;)

The halflink chain I have on currently is fine. Never any problem. It is a Gussett Slink I think.
The problem I had was with the gears I had 48 :18 I could not get the right tension, and had to add a tensioner. I would imagine that by switching to a similar ratio with different size gears I would have got a good tension. I think it is just luck and cannot be calculated as all bike differ in chainstay length. My cheapest solution was stich on a tensioner. I do not think the chain would have jumped off as I ride on road, But at just £10 for the tensioner the doubt was removed.

Oi Sithlord, I cannot believe your not asking us MacRetro types about SS, we have just raced them after some of us were at Thrunton with you lot !

Get a SS specific sprocket, a sprocket from a split cassette will have too shallow teeth and it has shifting ramps, if the chain gets loose it will come off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use a 1/8th pitch chain, Kaiser told me this one and its genius, an 1/8th pitch has wider rollers so that if you have not got perfect front chainring rear cog alignment it does not matter. Also 1/8th pitch chains are usually SS specific such as on BMX so have very little lateral flex and thus will not flap about and come off.

Use a tensioner unless you have horizontal dropouts, or track ends, or sliding drop outs, or an eccentric hub or bottom bracket shell. Magic gear is a thing of luck, Gaz and Mark have pulled it off but only until the chain stretches/wears which happens much faster with a half link chain.There are many good tensioners on the market but do not use an old deralier, they're not stiff enough and weigh too much.

Check Legrandefromages home made tensioner out in the general chat section, its genius and really cheap to create.

What MacRetro don't know about Single Speed is probably quite large but what we do know is quite significant !

Velo

A half-link chain does nothing that a normal chain with one half-link in it doesn't do. Tensioners with springs are better than ones without. Get the chainline straight and lots of problems go away. Magic gears tend not to stay magic for very long.

From experiance; If you don't have a ss specific frame use either a tensioner,eno hub or retro fit eccentric bb.
Get an ss specific sprocket and chainring.
I always use KMC 3/32 ss specific chains,they seem to last ok and are sooo much lighter than 1/8 :cool:
Also check out charlie the bike monger,he knows ss :D

Latest posts

Back