Stiff link in my chain

moonlite

Kona Fan
Went for a spin this evening on my drop-bar Cindercone and the chain started skipping, then coming off the front ring altogether -- and finally it broke. I walked and coasted home and re-joined the chain (Shimano 9-speed) with a spare snap-off pin. Apparently I squeezed this a bit too hard with the chain tool and now it won't pivot at that pin. It's quite noticeable as it goes over the sprocket and derailleur pulleys. l've wiggled it around and lubed it, but that link remains stiff. I think that may have been the issue to begin with, leading to the broken chain.

Any solutions or wise counsel? I don't trust it to ride on in its current state.

Wiggle it. That's it. Just wiggle it. Grab either side and bend the chain a bit in either direction across the plates (as in, not the way it normally bends). But by the sounds of things your chain is fecked, have you checked it recently?

Wiggle it. That's it. Just wiggle it. Grab either side and bend the chain a bit in either direction across the plates (as in, not the way it normally bends). But by the sounds of things your chain is fecked, have you checked it recently?
Thanks! I'll give that a go. The irritating part is that it's a new chain -- I suspect the first break was due to a stiff link and I've repeated the error in re-joining it.

Latest posts

Back