Half link advice for singlespeed needed

CAS

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've tensioned the chain on my singlespeed build by adjusting the position of the wheel in the horizontal drop out.

Problem is that the tyre brushes against the chain stay at the front and it's been suggested that I need a half link to allow the wheel to push back further.

I'm using an 8 speed chain as suggested by my LBS but they tell me that half links are not available any more for this size of chain.

Is this correct? Does anyone have one or know where I might acquire one?

Thanks

Carol

Just add a full link , if it rubs half a link won't leave much clearance and it'll be the weakest point in the chain .

From memory a full link will move the wheel about half an inch .

I was going to suggest the same, I would be happier be a full link there rather than a half.

Though if you end up needing a half link it's better, easier and more reliable to go to a link-and-a-half, like this from Billy's. Just fit it with two master links.
It's what I use, so that's a real recommendation then :roll:

Cheap as chips too.... :cool:

Sithlord":1ei9khjz said:
I have a full half link chain , I could send you a link out of this if it would help .. :)

Thanks for the offer Sith - is a half link chain compatible with a standard 8 speed? LBS has one and says that it's chunkier.

I'll try putting an additional whole link in - I've bought another master link for an 8 speed chain anyway so I'll experiment first and then look at the options the other guys suggest.

Thanks all - for your helpful suggestions - I'm always amazed at the wealth of knowledge forthcoming on this forum!

Carol

My singlespeed conversion ended up with the track ends in not quite the right place - I have to use a specific gear and a half-link to strike a balance between tyre rubbing on stays and axle falling out of track ends. Totally reliable, though - singlespeeds aren't really much of a test of straight chain strength, the loads are potentially way higher on a geared bike.

Personaly I would just replace your current chain with one of the KMC (£10.50) silver ones from Charlie teh bike monger. These are the only chains I havent managed to snap on my Fixie yet?

s_zigmond":xpdj8avy said:
Personaly I would just replace your current chain with one of the KMC (£10.50) silver ones from Charlie teh bike monger. These are the only chains I havent managed to snap on my Fixie yet?

I second that - KMC-610HX. Excellent chain.

Back