Gutted - nice XTR 952 crank stuck

It may be worth as a first step to get the bike rideable and then ride it around for a while without the retaining bolt in the crank and see if it works loose. Despite the damage to the spline I'd of thought given enough time you'd see it start to work loose.

Personally I am a little sceptical of the helicoil suggestion. The diameter you woul need to get a thread large enough to take a crank extractor would first of all be too large to drill yourself, you'd need a good pillar drill at least. So it would likely be an engineers workshop job (which judging by this thread it sounds like you don't have one at the bottom of the garden)

Secondly I'd be suspicious over which would give way first when using a crank extractor, the helicoil to crank interface or the crank to axle.

Any way if it looks like you need to take it to an engi, get them to have a look at trying to rig something together using pully pullers

My first efforts would be on riding the crank loose for a bit.

Riding loose may work, is that not off already though?

In your second picture it looks like it.

As above, that would be a fair sized helicoil.

Im sure i have seen a tool (tap) for this on a well known odd tool site which i cant remember the name of, american i think? Tool was possibly around £30.

I have the same cranks on my commuter and if the bolts aren't tightened up properly, the arm works loose so nothing to lose there if you can get it rideable. The idea of using spanners and something between them as a lever may also work. Never tried nor endorsing this from any other perspective other than theoretical. You could get a couple of spanners and use the claw end of a hammer as a lever, even a crow bar and rock the lever back and forth, spinning the crank arm to evenly prise it off.

Cyfa is right. I had a similar problem. I made something to blank the end of the axle out of two coins superglued together (you could also use the crank bolt), and I bought a bearing puller. Draper make a very good one http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/dra...-spread-twin-leg-reversible-puller-13906.html

These are cheap and work well.

Put the claws of the puller on the back of the crank arm and then screw onto the blank on the end of your axle. Should work fine.

Thanks guys, it's off now a bit of heat into the axle and a couple of short sharp taps with the rubber mallet then bearing pullers worked a treat.

Have a pillar drill but it'll be dropped into one of the local engineering guys to see if they can be saved!

Back