Guerciotti - or not?

DCLane

Dirt Disciple
I picked up this a couple of days ago - bought via eBay from a known seller. However, there appears to be a 'WR' plus numbers frame number underneath and it doesn't look original. The frame's been re-painted and the decals are stuck on afterwards.

Therefore I'm doubting it's original, but if not, what is it? The crankset's French and the chainrings are non-original drillium, the brakes drilled and unbranded, Campagnolo Avanti front/rear derailleurs, modern Tiagra brake calipers, Mavic wheels on Shimano Exage hubs.

Seller's photo:

s-l1600-jpg.697686

My photo of underneath, with what appears to be a frame number, and also the stem 'shield':

pxl_20230705_175652496-jpg.697685

pxl_20230705_174204992-jpg.697678

Those aren't Guerciotti transfers from the 80s steel era. And those frames had panto'd crowns and stays. What you have are alloy/carbon era transfers.

Back in the 80s some little known bike shop at Wath nr Rotherham called their frames Rossini. They used that exact paint scheme with chrome. They also sponsored a small domestic pro team. What I don't know is who made their frames.

I don't think it's a Guerciotti, but I also think it's half decent

Thanks all - it's not as sold, which is disappointing but I had half-guessed this.

So I've got a Raleigh Professional bitsa which someone has badly re-sprayed. Now I've to decide what to do with it ...

I've got the full serial number up; WR2001504 as it's had grey primer with what seems to be white gloss over. The red and green also appear to be gloss paint. So I'm guessing it's a 1982 frame - but by then the Workshop factory had closed.

PXL_20230710_163238677.jpg

Now I've got to work out what to do with this; either it'll become a project I would guess unless anyone else wants to take it on and comes close-ish to my purchase price of £215.

Last edited:
If the ebay seller has a reputation to protect can you not try him or ebay first? Or was it listed vaguely enough for "caveat emptor" to apply?

If the ebay seller has a reputation to protect can you not try him or ebay first? Or was it listed vaguely enough for "caveat emptor" to apply?

The listing was quite vague, but did have the make in. I'm keeping their name out of this as they're well known. However, it was listed as 1970's Italian and a "Guer Ciotti" so not as described in that way.

I'm not intending returning it or asking for a refund. Instead I'll decide whether to restore back as was, sell as is with a more honest description, or part it out - and I'd prefer not to do the latter.

I think in my eyes that looks like a rather expensive Raleigh frame with a mix of bitsa components. It's a nice enough frame but it's not £215 nice with components that don't belong with it. Personally, I'd return it. At least ask the seller if they're willing to come to an agreement.

Back