GT Timberline.. any good?

Triumphtopy

Dirt Disciple
I have two Orange bikes from the early 90s a P7 and C16r ; fancied a GT for general use.. GT Timberline bikes keep coming up for reasonable rates pro’s and con’s .. please?

Not that exotic, but not the bottom of the range outpost or palomar either.

I think it was the tequesta which had the Reynolds seat tube whereas the timberline was all 4130.

Group was often Stx and alivio, later came with lx v’s. So again not very exotic but perfectly servicable parts. I’d go for a rigid fork as they came with Indy’s which were a bit pants.

Timberlines are pretty solid, if not that exotic, as trailstar82 mentioned. Probably why there are so many about. That said, I've seen a few that have been restored or modded that look fantastic, so I think that for your purpose, they make a good solid base for however you want to set one up. Pros would be a solid 4130 frame, a few to choose from at reasonable prices. Nothing strange or odd about them, by which I mean BB, Headsets, brakes, are all standard sizes etc. Decent clearance on the stays so you can put wider tyres on if you wish.... Con's.... can't think of many really, maybe a bit on the heavy side, but only compared to the higher spec frames and that might not be any concern for general use.

I had an early 90's in smoked blue. Rode really well. Later added some xc500 forks, nice handling frame. Gave it to a work colleague in the 2000's and he put road tyres on for his commute, he was happy with it.

That is tremendously helpful.. I’ve seen a couple I fancy and am going to take the plunge.. hope it doesn’t get nicked like my last orange P7 from the station bike rack (yes it was locked) .. on that note have there been any significant developments in security over the last 10 years or so?? Yes I have good locks and chains..
thank you people.

I had one back in the 90's, it was my first MTB.

They are totally bombproof, nice to ride, canti brakes were okay-ish, I put tens of thousands of miles on it. The downside is they are heavy.

My mate spent a bit more than me and got a Karokoram, that was a bit lighter so nicer to get up the hills but otherwise similar, I then built up a Zaskar LE frame that I still own to this day.

I have a soft spot for the old triple triangles, they are great bikes. The only GT I never got on with was the Xizang, I just don't like the feel of it's titanium frame.

Back