GT Team RTS (modern rig) - and RTS-1 (retro rig)

Fork travel

Thanks for your post - as the forks are FOX TALAS, you can adjust the travel on the fly, and I've got these would down to minimum, which is 80mm. When I got the frame, I stupidly took off a sticker on the top tube which said 'designed for use with long travel rock shox'. At the time this frame was new from the factory, I had an RTS-2 which had (I believe) 60mm travel, and the extra 20mm does not seem to have affected anything. Not sure how long 'long travel' rock shox were back in 93-4, but the frame seems to cope OK with the 80mm.

Ian

it's not just the travel though - it's the axle to crown which is longer on modern forks... i.e. the 80mm 'starts' further down the fork.

Fork travel

Fair point and well made, though thus far, the handling does seem to be fine, though when used in anger I can't say, as has mainly been nice pleasant commons and green areas in London thus far.

great - nothing worse than setting it up as you want it only for it to handle like sh!te :LOL: If you're happy then that's fine. :D

I like old frames with new parts - it's how we did it in the early days.

to check the clearance of the booster . remove the shock and take the spring out . put the shock without spring back in and compress it

i like it , old polished GTs do seem to wear the newer parts well and im hoping to see more old frames with well thought out newer bits that keep the essence of its spirit

Second RTS build with Spins

In answer to a request, here is a pic of my second RTS - similar build to the first, but with older XTR group set, spin wheels (yes, they are commuter tyres on there, but this is not a commuter bike) etc. Since the photo's I've changed the forks to some FOX F80 RLT (setting up the Marzocchi was too fiddly, and sadly a huge waste of money as a result). Awaiting new decals from Gil, so this should tidy the frame up nicely. I do wish I could get away with using some carbon crosslink forks that I have, but due to the linkage, the lowest that I can put my stem always feels too high. I've posted an old pic of my other RTS with these on as well - comments welcome.

Attachments

• RTS 1 - side view.jpg
    RTS 1 - side view.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,765
  • Crosslink linkage.jpg
    Crosslink linkage.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,763
  • Team RTS carbon crosslink front view.jpg
    Team RTS carbon crosslink front view.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,763

Latest posts

Back