GT Pantera Original Spec Refurb

It's a Big No on the STX Decals, can't source them anywhere.

Thought you'd might like to see refurbed cranks, put the original photo up to give a comparison.

Dishwashers are good ain't they :D

Pic's don't do the crank arms justice, really shiny

Chainrings are a little worn and a couple of teeth missing but I've decided to do the refurb on this bike with minimal cash. So at the moment they're staying put. What do you think of the toe clips? :oops:

I have spent a bit of money mind got myself a new FSA Headset coming, a nearly new WTB Saddle and some cabling.

Going to be looking for a used set of rim brake wheels though as the old ones are crap. Anybody with a set of Mavics with Shimano Hubs laying around PM me

Attachments

• CIMG1315.JPG
    CIMG1315.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,087
  • CIMG1312.JPG
    CIMG1312.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,087
  • CIMG1283.JPG
    CIMG1283.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,087
Polising is a Bitch.

Used some NitroMors to get the old Decals off. Brushed the frame down with some Caustic Soda and then started with 600 and then 1200 grit. Done the Autosol and Brasso and the frames come up Ok. Not 100% happy but I suppose you need some kind of professional kit to get a mirror finish. My digital camera is as flat as a pancake, hopefully it'll be charged by the morning.

I've had a change of mind about refurbishing the parts already fitted. Going to try to replace as much of the components on the bike with either NOS or Mint condition same spec parts. I've already been able to source a couple of New Old Stock and Mint parts for the bike from the Net.

Shimano STX-RC Cantilever Brakes Front and Rear (eBay WoollyHatShop) have a look http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481 ... 2267QQcmdZ

Shimano STX Front Mech New Old Stock (Thanks Reanimation)

Shimano STX-RC Rear Derailleur (Thanks Pickle)

Shimano STX-RC Crankset New Old Stock (eBay find)

GT Pantera Decals New Old Stock (eBay USA)

I could have attempted a refurb of existing parts (i hate rust!!) or stuck all modern new Deore parts on the bike but want to get the bike as close to new as possible. Brakes have arrived just wish the other parts arrive soon as I want to start Building the damn thing :LOL:

Attachments

• 0c8b_1.JPG
    0c8b_1.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,036
  • 370a_1.JPG
    370a_1.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 2,035
  • dscn2065_744.jpg
    dscn2065_744.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 2,035
  • DSCF4873.jpg
    DSCF4873.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,035
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
a couple of teeth missing

If you're talking about the "short" teeth, it's meant to be like that :)

MikeD":1kzhdvg6 said:
a couple of teeth missing

If you're talking about the "short" teeth, it's meant to be like that :)

I said that too - those 'missing' teeth have got me sooo many chainsets ;)

Well here's what I've done so far

Removed old decals and Polished the frame
New Shimano BB
New Old Stock Shimano STX-RC Crankset
New Canecreek Headset
New Old Stock Shimano STX-RC Cantilevers Front and Rear
Set of Rockshock Indy C's (OK Condition will do for the moment)

Still waiting to be delivered

New Old Stock Shimano STX Front Mech
Mint Shimano STX-RC Rear Derailleur
Mavic Wheelset (Eastons at the moment from GT Avalanche 1 - Not staying on, too New!! Don't the reflectors look nice :cool: )
Kore Stem (The Raceface white ones only temporary :shock:)
GT Grips
New Old Stock Pantera Decal kit

Hopefully the stuff on order will arrive by the weekend and I'll post some more pics up of my reborn Pantera :D

Attachments

• Pantera Rebuild 6.JPG
    Pantera Rebuild 6.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 1,814
  • Pantera Rebuild 2.JPG
    Pantera Rebuild 2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,814
  • Pantera Rebuild 3.JPG
    Pantera Rebuild 3.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,814
  • Pantera Rebuild 1.JPG
    Pantera Rebuild 1.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,814
Thanks Pickle

The decals are going to make a difference, and the white stem just freaks me out at the moment

I've decided that I hate the Indy C's and was thinking of getting a set of RockShox Quadra's for the bike. Trying to get it back to the original 1996 spec. I've seen these forks in silver but was wondering did they make them in black?

If anyone's got a NOS, Mint or Very Good condition set of these forks PM me. I've also posted on the 'Wanted' thread so I hope there's somebody out there with a set.

OK so the front mech arrived this morning (thanks Reanimation).

From the time of Mr Postman delivering it, it took me about 3 minutes to unwrap and stick on the frame (getting excited and impatient :LOL: )

Mech sits nice and although it's just a STX and not a STX-RC looks really good and compliments the new Crankset.

Decided I'm going to change the bars from the original GT Branded ones to something a little bit more snassy :cool: Any ideas? Not looking at spending more that £20. Got to be flat and 25.4.

Going to be changing the Shifter / Brakes to a NOS STX-RC set that I've been able to source. In all this bike will be virtually like new should last at least another 15 years before needing another going over.

Long live the Triple Triangle

Decals Mavic wheelset, stem and front mech now all fitted. Also fitted a pair of NOS Shimano Skewers

Waiting on STX-RC rear derailleur, STX-RC NOS Brake/Shifters and an Easton flatbar

Decals are slightly different from originals but are nice and new with NO scuffs. :cool:

I have committed sacrilege and put a new Raceface seat post on and a WTB saddle which although NOS is a few years too new :oops:

Couple of pics

Attachments

• Pantera Refurb 7.JPG
    Pantera Refurb 7.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,741
  • Pantera Refurb 10.JPG
    Pantera Refurb 10.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,741
  • Pantera Refurb 11.JPG
    Pantera Refurb 11.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 1,741
  • Pantera Refurb 13.JPG