great link! MUST SEE for all bicycle enthusiasts! trust me !

I thought that was brilliant, the good old days, when a girl could fit an innertube in 50 seconds, and what looked like a 12 year old, building wheels like a pro.... :shock:

I agree with others, by todays standards health and safety would shut them down in 30 secs, no goggles/ guards etc etc etc....lol..

Every body working, NO DOLE QUEUE.... :shock:

SO would you call them handbuilt or NOT...?

AND WHO SAID WE WERENT ONCE GREAT........LOL

That was really interesting, the most surprising was the pressing of the BB shell from plate to shell & gussets!

Amazing that everything was completed in one giant factory!

Big thanks to the OP!

It's difficult to imagine what was actually sourced from another supplier. Great insight to what was happening in Nottingham.

What about the guy dipping his hand in the enamel? And the junior taking the wheels to a skilled worker to fit them... :D when I were your age I had to dip my hand in enamel for 15 years before they let me put the wheels on lad.....

I could not decide if I should be proud or ashamed. Raw materials in one side of the factory and the finished product leaving the other against the H&S and mind numbing monotony of the jobs.

Thought the bolt on Seat stays were an odd touch.

Thanks OP for a really good find.

Amazing how things used to be done - won't find any of that in a modern factory or that amount of workers.

Also amazed to see that all of the bike was built in house again that doesn't nowadays.

Did see a modern bike being made on one of those "how it's made" type of programmes and was a totally different situation - far fewer workers, many more components were brought in ready made and much more done by automatation rather than hand.

Back