Classic British Bicycles (200 makers mapped!)

This is an awesome map but you’re an entire Firth out for the city of Stirling in Scotland. Lack of space is definitely not an issue in this part of the map. Stirling is on the River Forth, inland and west of Edinburgh. On your map Stirling is showing as being on the River Tay, inland from Dundee. Which is actually where Perth is. I think I’ll wait for the amended second edition.

Also, sorry to be a pedant but Charles Ralph built his lovely Alves bikes in the village of Alves, east of Elgin (which is also a bit more inland from the Moray Firth).

its an excellent idea & effort. but given all the additional companies provided above, you could still update it further. also add Nelson cycles llangyndyr

I'm not the one who's deciding here but one person /framebuilder that doesn't appear to be on the map, who was a "classic" in his own right was Charlie, C W Alexander, who ran his buisness in Cardiff, South Wales. Both the man and the shop are long gone but i'm pretty sure there are some people living and hopefully still riding that know who he was. I think one could write a book about him, he was that much of a character.

PAG - you have the wrong Gillingham. He was Gillingham in Kent, not Dorset.

Gillingham in Dorset did have a framebuilder back in the 1890's, or thereabouts. I think the surname was White and he was in the Peacemarsh area. His claims to fame were having ridden for GB and supplying Dorset police with bicycles. The only reference i have found was in a local history book that i borrowed a few years ago and memory is a bit hazy.

Locally; there was another framebuilder. Used an italian sounding name for his frames and i think he was 753 certified. I kind of remember somebody having one for sale here and maybe even a thread. Again; memory is a bit hazy. I remember it being a bit like Atala, but not them as they actually are italian.

Another local was Hammoon. I think he might have been in Marnhull, or maybe the chap above was. Anyway; this Hammoon is not the present Hammoon Cycles that can be found in Shaftesbury.

Not in Dorset, but Was Peter Hare (Twyford, nr Reading) not a classic frame builder, too? I was sure he built some of his own but maybe he rebadged others. Maybe Dave Russell frames?

Also....up north there was Ottadini back in the 80's.

I am looking at the map on a very small screen so might have missed some of the above. Pretty surre i am right about PAG though.

Back