Going to Afan for the first time...

As above, play with Whites if you're going with newbies. Skyline is great, but could break the spirit of a beginner. . Good venure, showers for after, bike wash, good grub, good shop. Just whats needed :)

I'm going back again in April for my annual pilgrimage!

If you are taking beginners, start with Penhydd as its not to technical and a great way to give a newbie a taste for more.

+1 for the drop off cafe, the potion sizes in there are massive! If you are camping though, avoid Glyncorrwg as the campsite flooded last year :shock: :evil: .

tintin40":390kx9t7 said:
The up hill routes were great. But the down hill were just like a kids BMX track. With silly jumps. And annoying man made routes.
Oh and why is it every time I visit Wales it pisses down rain all day :x

Sounds spot on, hope there are some doubles and nice berms to hit up as i'm going there in April :D

afan is 1 of the places I work out of, so I know the place fairly well. firstly afan is actually split between 2 centres, the lower original afan centre which held mtb races back in the early 80s to early 90s & the newer built Glyncorrwg. the facilities at the newer centre are considerably better, but thats not a reason to avoid the old trail centre. Its difficult to pick a single trail as they do differ, the Penhydd has some nice tight, fairly slow winding s.track. the wall is much faster, skyline is by far the longest, whites & the skyline share the same intial climb, whites is much shorter, but with fast s.track & small drops. all of these trails have sections of connecting fireroad, most of which is climbing & in the case of skyline theres quite a lot of it.

previously I would have recommended doing either the july trail, which is the first cutback, shortened version of the skyline, then down the old railway line, now bike path to do the wall. now however theres a new marked out link between the top of the whites trail & the wall over the mountain, its always been there, but only recently marked.
my personal fave section would be the final DH of the skyline, purely as its a long fast flowing DH with a few small jumps.

pretty much any bike can be ridden on these trails, but as tintin found out, fully rigid with skinny tyres is about the least appropriate. I rode hardtail at afan for years (& fully rigid during the late 80s race scene) but its considerably more fun with a decent FS trail bike.

afan does get a lot of rain. topographic rain on a windward slope, that location was always going to be wet. compared to n.downs, SSMM, anywhere with clay etc, the difference is that even on the worst weather day afan is still fully rideable & doesnt turn into an annoying mud-athon.

For sheer variety & amount of trails, theres a lot more in & around cwmcarn than afan thats not widely known. keep an eye on the cycling press, or PM me for more info.

Afans a great place to ride.

Taken newbs on the Nine feet no probs. Wall/Whites and Nine feet all great trails. Not done Skyline.

Did the Wall/Whites route just before Christmas, and this is a great route for about 4hr ride.
It does always rain, but hey. The trails are great.

We got back to the Glyn cafe after ride to find they shut up as Christmas party kicking off later. But like a star, guy just opened up and made us something great :)
Things like that make a difference.

Lasagne with Jacket and salad was MASSIVE

gump":21uycb0p said:
Afans a great place to ride.

Taken newbs on the Nine feet no probs. Wall/Whites and Nine feet all great trails. Not done Skyline.

Did the Wall/Whites route just before Christmas, and this is a great route for about 4hr ride.
It does always rain, but hey. The trails are great.

We got back to the Glyn cafe after ride to find they shut up as Christmas party kicking off later. But like a star, guy just opened up and made us something great :)
Things like that make a difference.

Lasagne with Jacket and salad was MASSIVE

andy, it hasnt been called the nine foot .com trail for a while.. long story behind that one..

Back