Servicing xtr v brakes

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've done this many a time, but my last go resulted in me breaking a linkage.

I've lost my mojo and I guess confidence.

I've finally found a spare arm to replace a snapped one on a mint set of m952 brakes with the added spring on the linkage. I'm looking to transplant everything over from the snapped arm, as it is play free.

Looking to avoid breaking anything, and not damaging the black pivot covers when removing.

Anyone got any foolproof tips or tricks? I'm well versed with these brakes, just looking to refine my craft.

Thanks

What went wrong? Aka how the hell did you snapp it.

Only thing some people don't realise is you can hold it all with a big fat Allen key when nipping up the erm pedal spanner bits.

Other advise is don't 'brake' them.

The covers, never had a problem not damaging them

Edit and if course a refresher for confidence
I do have picture I had ready for my own to do but that post linked went up before I wrote it up https://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/XTR_BR-M951_Brake_Howto

Cheers.

How the arm snapped? I think it must have been a defective arm, no evidence of any impacts, scuffs or scratches, it is pretty mint as are the other 3 arms. That wasn't me.

The bit I broke was the end of the ti linkage that slots over the outer pivot cage thingy in the cross shape. I think the come spanner comes into contact with it if you aren't careful and ping.

Found some of my old photos, now I'm guesstimating from over ten years ago.
That doesn't need to be attached when doing that bit..
Pop it back on after.

summer hols 2012 217.jpg

summer hols 2012 215.jpg

And I'm guessing this is trying to tell I either popped it on a fork leg for a) to help keep it still b) check it worked c) to align the parallel arm correctly d) for a photo opportunity

I think the mistake I made was to try and shortcut the process (over confidence having done many previously) and assembling before adjusting the bearings, hence why the come spanner pushed against and snapped the linkage mount. Seeing your pics had me realise that, thanks.

Back