Wanted Girvin flexstem 1 inch and not too long

For a 1" headset it needs to be 22.2mm (standard)

A 25.4mm (1") is the size that fits in a 1 1/8" (OverSize) headset.
I am now confused. Below is a photo of the original headset, which I have checked with calipers and it measures 25.4mm. Therefore I would expect a 25.4 dia Flexstem to be a correct replacement? Welcome clarification IMG_5536.jpeg

If that's the stem then mine is an identical OD
I am now confused. Below is a photo of the original headset, which I have checked with calipers and it measures 25.4mm. Therefore I would expect a 25.4 dia Flexstem to be a correct replacement? Welcome clarification

That is what I thought but FluffyChicken seems to have a different view :-(
I am happy to proceed. Payment method?

A headset is the outside diameter of the steerer tube.

For threaded, the then stem goes on the inside of the steerer, so is smaller than the 'headset size' by 1/8"

For an Aheadset/Threadless, the stem goes on the outsize and is therefore the same measurement as the headset.

Hence a 25.4mm quill stem is for a 28.6 -- 1 1/8" headset.

Something many threaded era people* don't realise and advertise wrong (or right and the buyer doesn't realise)

*or people who have forgotten because they're now 30 years older and honestly didn't even think to think about it. Happens to all of us.

@tspicer it was @longun looking for a stem, this would not work for him.
If you see his second post, you'll notice he already had that advertise wrongly thing

You have a 1 1/8" threaded headset, if you're ever looking for a new one.

A headset is the outside diameter of the steerer tube.

For threaded, the then stem goes on the inside of the steerer, so is smaller than the 'headset size' by 1/8"

For an Aheadset/Threadless, the stem goes on the outsize and is therefore the same measurement as the headset.

Hence a 25.4mm quill stem is for a 28.6 -- 1 1/8" headset.

Something many threaded era people* don't realise and advertise wrong (or right and the buyer doesn't realise)

*or people who have forgotten because they're now 30 years older and honestly didn't even think to think about it. Happens to all of us.

@tspicer it was @longun looking for a stem, this would not work for him.
If you see his second post, you'll notice he already had that advertise wrongly thing

You have a 1 1/8" threaded headset, if you're ever looking for a new one.
So for clarification, a threaded no threaded adheadset headset without threads with an internal diameter matching the external diameter of an internal bore of 1" is equal to an external bore of a 1/16" wall thickness of a thickness of 1/16th of an inch, resulting in a 1" flex stem - roughly equating to a 25.4mm OD is correct?

Seems a bit compicated 🙃

Back