Giant TCR 1 1998

Re:

I was afraid you would say that... lol

Thanks for replying!

BTW, here is a picture of my TCR.

I am taping the bars as soon as I finish the gearing.

Cheers
Manolis

Attachments

• 99 TCR Compact.jpg
    99 TCR Compact.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 640
Re: Re:

ArchosOne":3i1ddqfq said:

Thanks for replying!

Cheers
Manolis

Cool. Ill be interested what you make of the stem, I was told they are very heavy and flex a lot.
I wanted to fit a compact chain set too but couldn't get a retro one, I don't ride it very often as i'm to busy with work and kids.

Alan

Re:

Does anyone know if that fork was sold on it's own separately. I have a cadex 980c and have seen some with the same fork as that, but mine came with an aluminium one.

alanjob":2pov48mn said:
ArchosOne":2pov48mn said:

Thanks for replying!

Cheers
Manolis

Cool. Ill be interested what you make of the stem, I was told they are very heavy and flex a lot.
I wanted to fit a compact chain set too but couldn't get a retro one, I don't ride it very often as i'm to busy with work and kids.

Alan

Use a pair of MTB period cranks and leave the granny ring off? I was doing this years before 'compact cranks' became fashionable.

Re:

Hi,

I’ve recently purchased this bike and been trying to find some info about it. I think it is a 1998 model so similar to your but a different colour.

I just wondered if you had any links to the brochures? Also how you restored the paint on the frame? This has a fair number of chips which is like to repair if possible.

It came with a flat bar so I’ve changed and now got my hands on some 9 speed ultegra control levers to fit the rest of the componentry. New to this restoration business but would like to get this back to its full glory.

Attachments

• DB4E2947-8E17-49ED-B4BE-55C529FD090B.jpeg
    DB4E2947-8E17-49ED-B4BE-55C529FD090B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 367

DarrylStead":1qgq724d said:
Hi,

I’ve recently purchased this bike and been trying to find some info about it. I think it is a 1998 model so similar to your but a different colour.

I just wondered if you had any links to the brochures? Also how you restored the paint on the frame? This has a fair number of chips which is like to repair if possible.

It came with a flat bar so I’ve changed and now got my hands on some 9 speed ultegra control levers to fit the rest of the componentry. New to this restoration business but would like to get this back to its full glory.

I'm no TCR expert but that looks like one of the much newer models of the frame. I've had 2 of them as they're one of my favourite frames to ride. In fact I still have a red and silver one!
The red and silver I own is the 2006 model.

russell16688":3r7xa0ir said:
DarrylStead":3r7xa0ir said:
Hi,

I'm no TCR expert but that looks like one of the much newer models of the frame. I've had 2 of them as they're one of my favourite frames to ride. In fact I still have a red and silver one!
The red and silver I own is the 2006 model.

I would agree with the more modern dating. The welds are smoothed out and the seat clamp is totally different. Straight fork too. Also an Aheadset with possibly larger diameter steerer? Still very nice - and I do like the colour scheme! You say 9 speeds on the rear mech. That should give a better idea of the year?

Re:

This is my 2006 model. It looks slightly different to yours but it doesn’t have the original fork.
Your rear seat stays look slightly flared whereas this version isn’t. The rest looks pretty similar though. I’d still guess it’s in the 2000’s

Attachments

• 851A1C5B-C128-4550-936F-95C1E88930BC.jpeg
    851A1C5B-C128-4550-936F-95C1E88930BC.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 329
Re:

Thanks all,

I think your right and it is a letter model. I just can’t find anything this colour for any year. Having spent hours trawling google I think it is a 2004 model. This one:

http://bikeshed.com.au/pages/products/b ... index.html

This is red though. Can’t think it would fade to this metallic orange colour but spec is a match so I think I e found the model year.

Thanks for the help.
Darryl

Attachments

• 7CF416A9-1CF7-470F-9B54-2D33B12676A2.png
    7CF416A9-1CF7-470F-9B54-2D33B12676A2.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 331
Re:

Just so you know, you’ve made me want to rebuild my old TCR again now! I thought it had finally been retired but it’s my favourite ever geometry and weirdly the bike I did best on in races.
It was also the bike that convinced me to stick with aluminium when I updated my main road bike.

Back