Giant CADEX rebuilds

The Cadex nr. one is ready , have a look , I placed more photo's under the readers MTB tread.
pbpic4421607.jpg

Don't realy like the quality of the pictures , must be the winter weather .
:roll:

thats very nice

remember kids dont use petrol to clean c/f ,there's benzine in it nowadays
and that reacts with the resin ,so it goes all floppy :shock:

Nice work! I've got the same frame and was considering doing exactly the same to it. Initial quotes at bob Jackson and Argos were around the £300 mark without decals. How did you manage to strip off the carbon lacquer without damaging it and how did you prepare it so that it took a new coat? Mine is in pretty good shape but there is some slight bubbling in the middle of the top tube which is annoying me, plus the black and silver colour scheme in my head looked great, which you have proved.

Cheers

ian

Re: this looks great

Olliepen":3s14kt6i said:
this looks like it is going to be a great project - could you post a picture of the drop outs?
uitvalnaven.jpg

More: disasembling the XT thumpshifters
http://mountainbikie.yolasite.com/tooling.php
How did you manage to strip off the carbon lacquer without damaging it and how did you prepare it so that it took a new coat? Mine is in pretty good shape but there is some slight bubbling in the middle of the top tube which is annoying me, plus the black and silver colour scheme in my head looked great, which you have proved.
Using sandingpaper smooth from 160. be carefull. the 2 pack paint will hold perfectly (afther a good ethyl alcohol cleaning job) The bubling will be a poblem , inject with some black paint or sand the small bubble away and color with black....?If its osmose than injecting clear coat could be enough to let it disapear , but it's probably to small...Take care! and join the cadex club :mrgreen:

Re: starting the Giant CADEX rebuilds

I Made a Rear Drop out out of 6061 Aluminum plate that allows for a Disc Calipper to be mounted to it, I will take Pictures to Show this, If you are interested in This? I Like the Photos of your rebuild!! I am just upgrading mine, from parts off my Specialized Epic, as I upgade that. plus the Disc Hubs. I am going to Remove the Rear Brake Bosses this Spring, Grind ever so carefully I suppose along with the rear Cable Hanger. I filed the cable guides on the top tube to fit the rear Hydraulic line through with the plastic Specialized hose shims to lock them in, looks clean. Where did you get the Giant Decals? and the Cadex decal? it does look Sweet!!!

Thank you!
The stickers are explained here on my site
http://mountainbikie.yolasite.com/stickers-cadex-en-mag21.php
, But it's in Dutch...
Thats why I have translated it :(it was translated in Babelfish, some parts will read quite stupid... :mrgreen: )
Cheers!

My method to copy stickers is these: make foto' s of the object and treat these in photoshop, in my case Paint shop pro ofzo. Hereafter I print this with quality ink (in my case Epson Dura Brite' s) on DECAL paper prints. This is paper special for the model construction available in blank and transparent. The intention is that you print firstly then use a topping with clear paint to passivate the ink. Hereafter in lukewarm water the sticker will come seperate from the backing. The super thin sticker can than be transfered to the object. This goes frequently wrong because it is really super-thin. Hereafter clearcoat the object. My altenative method is : First apply an layer of thin vinyl instead of the clearcoat. (this is available at car trade as a protection layer for your bumper ea.) I use the brand Avery.afther this soak the sticker as usual, the backing will get off. Well dry and introduce a new layer of glue , in this case permanent photograph adhesive from an aerosol (colourlessly). Now the sticker introduces without you need to be frightened something goes wrong. As extra cover I do generally apply another topping vinyl. Below an example of stickervel which I am using for several components. [/url]

Re: starting the Giant CADEX rebuilds

I Made a Rear Drop out out of 6061 Aluminum plate that allows for a Disc Calipper to be mounted to it, I will take Pictures to Show this, If you are interested in This? I Like the Photos of your rebuild!! I am just upgrading mine, from parts off my Specialized Epic, as I upgade that. plus the Disc Hubs. I am going to Remove the Rear Brake Bosses this Spring, Grind ever so carefully I suppose along with the rear Cable Hanger. I filed the cable guides on the top tube to fit the rear Hydraulic line through with the plastic Specialized hose shims to lock them in, looks clean. Where did you get the Giant Decals? and the Cadex decal? it does look Sweet!!!

Attachments

• DSCN0124.JPG
    DSCN0124.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 8,216
  • DSCN0121.JPG
    DSCN0121.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 8,216
  • DSCN0122.JPG
    DSCN0122.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 8,217
Back