Ghetto tubeless question

I am a bit of a tight arse :oops: so I really did try with the track pump before resorting to Co2 :LOL: the tyres were really tight (but were new) I wonder if a rim strip would have helped ? I never bothered trying with one of those ... :?

The Mavic valves look neat but probably didn't help with 'manual' inflation. As requested - The valve stem is smooth on it's full length other than a small section that just protrudes through the rim once the valve is in position. A o ring is pushed down the valve stem followed by the black ano collar which threads on and hides the thread completely. The collar is recessed to hide the o ring. As the seal is formed on the side of the rim inside the tyre I am pretty sure the outer o ring is only to stop the ally collar from tightening onto / marking the rim.

The end of the valve stem is internally threaded to accept the core. The end of the core has a small thread to hold the valve cap. This thread has two flats on it to enable the core to be installed / removed with a simple plastic tool. This thread also allows an adaptor to be screwed on (with the use of another o ring) to convert it to a schrader valve. Everything mentioned (including the tool and a schrader valve cap) is included in the Mavic kit.

Now I have described them, you can just about make the bits out on this picture :

DSC05872.jpg

Hope this helps :D

WD :D

I just never bother with the valve, i ride Crossmax ST. And whit the technique i devloped, i can install just about any tire, some are harder! I request my girl friend to help me hold the tire closser to the bead, will i inflate the tire with a floor pump. Thank you for the hint, i will try the plastic tool ;)

Yeah that's what I used, maybe slightly more - one full shot of the injector :D

I might be tempted to wipe a little around the beads to next time round :D

WD :D

I'm thinking of having a go at ghetto with some Schwalbe Rocket Ron Evos

Apparently, all the Schwalbe Evos are "tubeless ready", so does that mean the sidewalls will be beefier, to cope without a tube?

Have read a couple of comments that Schwalbe don't recommend Stans - anyone have experience/knowledge?

Thanks in advance!

Back