Getting a doctor's appointment...does it vary area to area??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Self employed, can't afford to lose any time out this time of year, and I've gone down with something that I just can't shake off. Over did it yesterday and ended up having a 'funny turn' (faint, clammy, felt sick) Really frightened me as it's just totally unlike me to have anything other than a cold.

So, finally thought at 9 this morning, this is no good, ring the doctor's. Long and short of it, no appointments left at all, and apparently you have to know you're going to be ill and ring at 8 in the morn to stand a chance of getting anything. So can I make an appointment for tomorrow then? No. Ring at 8 in the morning.

Does this vary area to area, or are all surgeries now operating this system? (I ask, as I hardly ever go to the doctor so it's a while since I've experienced the 'system') What are you supposed to do if you feel really ill but not bad enough to call out an ambulance? Presumably go to A and E, but isn't that a waste of their time if you've not actually had an accident and it's not an emergency?

Re:

Good point! But I've just trawled through their site, and no, unfortunately not. The nearest walk in centre would probably be a Boots one in a town nearly 20 miles away (rural location :roll: )

Or there's a medical centre that runs a walk in service apparently, but again, nearly 20 miles away in the other direction. Obviously, I'll just keep ringing from 8 in the morning tomorrow, but I'm struggling to see what the options are if I can't get an appointment, and honestly thought they had done something to address this type of problem from what I'd seen in the news - is it different in other places?

Re:

Sure I'll get an appointment Nick, and I could risk driving if not, but just seems so damn stupid in this day and age.... Obviously the system is as over loaded as they keep making out.

It could just be there is 'a lot of it about' and that proves I've got something and so has everyone else and they're all getting the appointments! I told you I was ill.... :LOL:

Sounds fairly standard. My surgery has about a week for non urgent, much longer for my doctor and an emergency on the day end of day thing.

200 houses being built in the town so it's not going to get better.

If you're feeling that Ill you really should seek it out sooner rather than later.

Re:

In all fairness to them I didn't say I thought it was urgent, I just kind of assumed if you rang a doctor's surgery it was because you felt bad enough to need a doctor... :facepalm: They don't seem to do the end of day emergency appts at this surgery, but actually in the past that's what other doctor's I've been registered with have done, think that's a good idea.

I have felt marginally better today and I have been really really over doing it lately with quite physical work (and I'm not getting any younger!) so it could simply be exhaustion, but I would like to know for definite I've not got the lurgy or something like a chest infection (which I've had in the past and not known about so it is possible)

Re:

Ours is fairly good. Ring up at 8am as above for sameday appointments. You can book one online but the earliest will be 11 days away. If you are crafty and get online at 8am you can book one of the sameday appointments - these are the ones they fill up with the phone appointments.

I had to see the doc recently. Phoned up the surgery (10 mins in a queue), got an appt for a weeks time (Mon).
Arrived for appt & was seen no sooner had I sat down, got a further appt to give a blood sample for the end of that week (Fri).
At the blood giving appt I was not made to wait again & then returned the following Friday for the follow up appt & again didnt wait.

I've come to expect to have to wait for the initial appt, I was asked if my ailment was urgent or life threatening, which it wasnt. Otherwise everything was acceptable imo. I state waiting time experience as last year I had a couple visits for an ear infection & waited for 45mins both times upon arrival at the surgery.

Back