Getting a doctor's appointment...does it vary area to area??

Re:

It's the waiting on the 'phone bit that gets me, engaged so hang up, ring again straight away...

But this surgery is usually brilliant, the handful of times I've had to go, they can sometimes give you a cancellation or an appointment with the nursing sister, who is lovely. I can only assume there really is a good reason for there being no spare appointments this morning, but in a rural area and with that being the only surgery for miles...it's a shame there is no viable local alternative, like a walk in centre, in the county town, or somewhere closer than a 20 mile trip!

Re:

One big issue with our doctors surgery is the number of new patients. We live in a small town which has literally doubled in population in the last two years. Three large housing estates have been built on the outskirts since we moved here. They have built a primary school to accomodate the extra kids but still have the same capacity at the Docs.

Re:

I think THM high lighted the same potential issue in his town.

I do sometimes wonder if there is a job for sensible people on these town and country planning committees.... What I want to know is who is buying all these new houses! Our doctor's surgery has very limited parking and bugger all scope for expansion on that site either. And yes, the town is growing at an alarming rate....

Re: Re:

LikeClockwork":3avuxdpd said:
I think THM high lighted the same potential issue in his town.

.... What I want to know is who is buying all these new houses!....

I think we all know who is getting the houses these days, but I don't expect we are allowed to have that discussion.

Try and take it easy for the next couple of days Kaz, I was suffering similar symptoms before chrimbo, turned out to be a slight ear infection.

Maybe you just need some sun :D :cool:

Re:

our doctors is stupid struggle to get through on the phone and when you do the next appointment is a week away

Varies a lot from area to area.

In London, I found it impossible to even register at a GP so relied on walk-in centres (but I think a lot of those have been shut down now...)

In West Yorkshire, a superb experience. If you rang at 7am, you would normally be seen straightaway, i.e. before 8am if you could get there in time.

Here in Wales, it's also pretty good. Ring at 8am, and you can usually get an appointment next day.

Where my parents live in Dorset though, you are waiting 2-3 weeks for an appointment.

Truly a postcode lottery. I hope you're feeling better soon, OP. There are a couple of bugs going around which might be responsible for your funny turn (e.g. Novovirus, and a really weird cold, that comes and goes over about 3 weeks) - but it may also be warrant more of a investigation.

Re:

Thanks guys, think you're right Greencat/Niall, there is 'something' going around at the mo, wish I could afford to take it easy and get some sun! :D

Well, only took 8 calls to get past the engaged tone, appointment at half 9. With the added bonus that at that time of day I won't be able to get near the car park so I'll have to park at Tesco's half a mile away and walk, so I can do my shopping afterwards... :facepalm:

That'll be cider and jelly babies then if I get the all clear! Or even if I don't :mrgreen:

Why are they doing away with walk in centres? Surely that takes the pressure off over wrought doctors! They were such a good idea....

Our surgery is brilliant, you can phone at 8 in the morning and as long as you don't mind seeing anyone they'll try and fit you in at lunchtime and if you call at lunchtime they'll try to get you in after 5, can't say fairer that that.

Re:

I too have to book my illnesses a few weeks in advance , thankfully I don't usually have to visit the doctors I tend to wait/do something that requires and ambulance so get seen relatively quickly :facepalm:

Re:

Last month I called my GP from 8.00am til 9.30. About 200 redials I think, with no reply. Eventually I walked to the surgery and asked how I can book an appointment with the doctor?
'Oh, just call from 8.00am'
My response was measured and concise
It's a sham

Back