Get yer Chainreaction while you can

Re: Re:

yagamuffin":2vjhuj63 said:
one_bad_mofo":2vjhuj63 said:
The whole Wiggle/CRC saga just gets better and better if this is to be believed - https://cyclingindustry.news/wigglecrc- ... suppliers/

I guess between them and Evans they have the market sewn up and can do as they please. Even worse than the supermarkets and their suppliers, at least there are a few more supermarkets to supply.

i worked in the motor trade, it was normal for the big buyers to " Instruct" a supplier about extra discounts,payment terms that would be required to keep their business. lets hope some of the manufacturers have the courage to stand up to them. i have changed my view about these discount prices, once they have killed all the local shops, prices will leap up! LBS for me now, and look at the extra cost as in investment in the future.

Re:

I guess between them and Evans they have the market sewn up and can do as they please. Even worse than the supermarkets and their suppliers, at least there are a few more supermarkets to supply.

Having been in and around the bike trade for more years than I can to remember I think Evans will be the next casualty following on from the news about Wiggle/CRC and now Planet X. There will either be the closure of a lot of the shops (last time I could be bothered to look there were 50 plus stores) or the whole operation will be taken over. Don't think that could happen? It didn't stop Halfords buying out Treadz. My guess is that one of the bigger distributors or even an internet retailer will eye the business up as a quick way of cutting supplier margins by opening its own (re)branded stores or as an easy option to getting in consumers' faces in a similar way to Amazon making the move to bricks and mortar stores.

This is, of course, all just speculation on my part... :evil:

Re: Re:

one_bad_mofo":34whe2bv said:

Having been in and around the bike trade for more years than I can to remember I think Evans will be the next casualty following on from the news about Wiggle/CRC and now Planet X. There will either be the closure of a lot of the shops (last time I could be bothered to look there were 50 plus stores) or the whole operation will be taken over. Don't think that could happen? It didn't stop Halfords buying out Treadz. My guess is that one of the bigger distributors or even an internet retailer will eye the business up as a quick way of cutting supplier margins by opening its own (re)branded stores or as an easy option to getting in consumers' faces in a similar way to Amazon making the move to bricks and mortar stores.

This is, of course, all just speculation on my part... :evil:
What's the news about planet x? Must have missed something?

Re:

re: Planet-X...

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/brexit ... t-x/020270

Regardless of where people stand on 'Leave' or 'Remain', I'm not sure how/why "Brexit" is to blame when it seems Planet-X was already in a faltering position with minimal 2015 profit margin, failed venture in the US and a failed store in Edinburgh. But it doesn't bode well for the state of the industry or for cycling enthusiasts if we're past the peak of the boom.

It's hard to speculate. They might have seen the writing on the wall.

Regarding Planet X, I think a business model where you pile high and sell cheap while making miniscule profits is going to be very badly affected by changes in the currency you sell in. So yes, you could blame their failure on something that happened post Brexit.

Re:

I recently bought a stock of Valvert 26" 1.75/1.95 inner tubes from Planet-X for £2 each. Interesting their blurb says this:

"Limit of 10 per customer. Because we want all of our loyal customers to benefit from our great inner tube prices we have limited these to a maximum of ten per customer. Shame on all you bike shops that have been bulk buying them to resell at a profit."

Re:

Things are going to get more expensive due to sterling falling. Of course the flipside is foreign currency will buy more here so exports/ tourism etc should go up.

Back