genesis io

I've had a play on one - they're good frames. I rode the fully rigid singlespeed variety and it was a lot of fun, a classic steel ride.

I'm not a huge fan of Toras, YMMV but it might be worth trying to upgrade at the time of purchase if you get on well with your bike shop...

: P

I am buying this second hand at a very good price so the forks come with the bike- no option to change :cry: , will let you know how I get on with the forks but given my only experiance with front susp. is a set of chubbies on the proflex, they will prob. be a huge improvement?

Tora's are pretty decent forks, not many in that price range that are better.

AAAWWWW Gaz,

You know what you've done now, you have given me no more excuses not to build up my Kona Unit 2-9.

Thats more expense I though I'd avoided :roll: .

SS is good for muddy conditions as less stuff to clean later so I reckon a MacRetro October or November meet somewhere old school in the woods would be good.

There is at least 4 of us with modern/retro SS steeds so it could be a good un !

SS macretro sounds very cool, we need someone to get a venue and time organised- however I'm sure we have done our turn Ha Ha who will volunteer?

Had my first short ride out last night and I was very impressed. Mind you descent front forks are a bit of a revalation to me, having never been on anything more current than a 1997 proflex :roll:

The bike is a great climber and feels like a classic old school steel bike, nice bit of spring in the frame but still quite stiff and with a confident balanced feel, which makes singletrack a joy.

I do find the riser bar and short stem combo a bit weird, but will try and get used to it- I feel kind of cramped up front but given I usually run with 140/150 stems I suppose this is not a surprise- The sit up and beg position is better for my back anyway so should be good for longer runs.

I would recommend the bike to anyone. Great bike at a very good price. Oh and almost forgot Singlespeed rocks, I am now a convert...... praise the lord.

I have to say, I've been riding my SS alot recently and although I was quite sceptical before I got it, I really do enjoy riding it. Once you get over the shock of the uphills, which are frankly bloody painful, its really quite enjoyable. Definately gets you fitter faster aswell.

I will get some pictures soon, pishing it down here so might be tomorrow.

SS is harder on the climbs but does make you mentally and physically stronger so in my book that is no bad thing really. The thing that I still struggle with is when you have a bit of steep technical stuff (tree roots etc..)- this is when I always change gear so with the SS I will need to improve my skills I suppose, or get used to falling over :oops: .

I cleaned a steep rocky climb on my SS yesterday that has beaten me for weeks. Its a doddle to ride it on a geared bike but riding it on the SS knowing that I had not only found the right line but also got fit enough to keep cranking the pedals round gave me a real feeling of achievement.

Back