General Motors bankrupt

The unions closed down the mines and industry in the UK, not Thatcher. There was and still is huge reserves of coal and if the unions would have looked past the end of their noses and accepted the changes and modernization required we would still have mines, industry and thriving comunities, and we would be exporting coal still. The unions had too much power and only have them selves to blame. Wish we had another Thatcher now instead of that idiot Brown at the helm. Time for a change?

Dr S":5m1d6kcd said:
The unions closed down the mines and industry in the UK, not Thatcher. There was and still is huge reserves of coal and if the unions would have looked past the end of their noses and accepted the changes and modernization required we would still have mines, industry and thriving comunities, and we would be exporting coal still. The unions had too much power and only have them selves to blame. Wish we had another Thatcher now instead of that idiot Brown at the helm. Time for a change?

I think the quote back then was that we were 'still sitting on a thousand years of coal' Radio 4 does not lie y'know...

Dr S":2mke6m2x said:
yup, yer not wrong there Dr S and she could hold her own in europe. We didnt get shafted (as much) back then by the EC.

the less coal fired power stations there are then im a happy man.have you ever been to ashton under lyne....you can smell the crap coal burning from south of the pennines....

more wind farms and tidal stations.....will do me nicely. :D

With between 1500 and 1600 dollars of every GM sale going to cover the cost of union pensioners, many who have live 30-40 years past their retirement, it's no wonder the ship finally sank. Call it greed...the union was too stupid and pigheaded to give something back when they had a chance. It's a vicious black hole....you can here the sucking sound all the way across Lake Michigan over here in Wisconsin.

To get a pension you have to pay in to a pension. When I retire I will get the pension I'm due. Which is fair.
So those GM workers who paid in to the pension must get what they are due. A pension. Or is it different across the pond??

tintin40":3m7gvazv said:
To get a pension you have to pay in to a pension. When I retire I will get the pension I'm due. Which is fair.
So those GM workers who paid in to the pension must get what they are due. A pension. Or is it different across the pond??

Alas if only it was that simple, have a read here for different systems, including popular US ones and problems with them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pension

Dr S":3m7gvazv said:

Quite true. We also had a strong cabinet at the helm back then, but for the last decade we havn't had that, so people have got ideas of british presidents and actually "voting" for a prime minister :roll:

Easy_Rider":2epondi3 said:
tintin40":2epondi3 said:

Alas if only it was that simple, have a read here for different systems, including popular US ones and problems with them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pension

:shock: Glad I've got a civil Service pension

tintin40":1b0hsjkd said:

Example...you started working for GM at and entry position when you were 20 and you retire 30 years later at 50...Yes you have put into the pension but today you are 84 and you are still expecting a pension payment with inflation adjustment increases that is equal to what you were making 34 yrs later...all this after you only worked for the company for 30 years??? Something is wrong here. It was broken along time ago and when health care got better and people started living longer adjustments should have been made. GM tried and the union wouldn't budge. What company can afford to pay out more pension than it took in plus the growth in interest? Answer is simple....NONE because if they did they wouldn't be in business..like GM

Back