Gazelle Champion Mondial Semi Race ... my favorite Gazelle

I like that, soo much like a 1984 Raleigh Road ACe I had from the tip in 2012

super_handsome_387.jpg

img_20230103_150550-jpg.691872

@grantoury - lovely that. It was funny when you posted on the Inn, my immediate thought was the Mondial.

If I understood correctly Gazelle used that Mondial name for top shelf models?

Eitherway, being a bike snob it's got World Championship bands so it's doubley approved and goes back to time of bike builders having pride.

Agree with the comments about a very well preserved time machine. This will ride great.

On geek detail level:
- I'll wadger that crank is a Japanese made Takagi. Obsolete BCD now. Right up there with the best like Sugino. 👍
- Mafac centre-pulls have won more TdF than anyother brake. They really do work.
- Those box section rims with a outer raised part I think are Weinmann. Good sized brake track unlike a lot of 700c rims of the period.
- Looks like Lyotard pedals and Normandy hubs, probably a Maillard freewheel and Sedis chain - there's a bit of France in all of that so I'm raising my wine glass to salute you on a great find! ;)🤗

If I understood correctly Gazelle used that Mondial name for top shelf models?
All the road race models, since Harm Ottenbros won the World championship in 1969 on a gazelle

I'll wadger that crank is a Japanese made Takagi
Sakae Ringo according to the brochure. Quick measure says 135mm but not sure

Looks like Lyotard pedals and Normandy hubs, probably a Maillard freewheel and Sedis chain
I will check the pedals tomorrow. They are not as seen in the brochure. Hubs are Pellissier probably and Maeda perfect freewheel

I will pick up a botlle of fleurie to celebrate tomorrow, cheers!

Back