Gazelle Champion Mondial Semi Race ... my favorite Gazelle

You are just backing my statements in the Inn, in a truly stylish way. Congrats for the aquisition
Thanks.

I do agree with you, although I find that taking an old frame and adding modern bits to use it is also appealing. I am thinking of a Koga Miyata Terraliner Oval frame to build up a modern ATB. It has the same frame tubes as the Koga you showed in your pictures.

Then I took it the last 7 km with me on the bicycle, which I hadn't done in a while. But then it was home! So I took on more picture and checked the serial no. It is a 1978 frame. It looks very much the same as the pic in the brochure, except it has a drop bar, which was an option.

View attachment 691871

The weather is grey and horrible, so I will make some decent pictures when the sun is out again. During my walk i decided I will treat this like a barnfind. It is so nice and original, the first owner only ever did short rides around town on it and kept it in the garage under a plaid. I wanted to put modern components on it and use it, but it is just too nice. It will stay as is.

But this is my favorite Gazelle: the semi race. It has lights (that work!), mudguards, a kickstand, a pump and a comfy seat but also a 531 frame and fork legs.

View attachment 691872
How about just using it as it is? These components are in good working order, i'm pretty sure, and will provide the proper retro feel... i think this is no wall hanger, it's a very usable, practical bike. Even the saddle and tyres deserve a test ride before being replaced.

It looks a lot like the Glenbrook from Brooks:

imgrc0064042212.jpg

Back