Gary Fisher 29er . . . . . . from 2002 , FINISHED ! ! !

Re:

I've been rumbled ! :LOL:

Well done all of you ! Except logic al :roll:

It's that very frame , forks and the original wheels too .
It's in need of some love . I'll post up some pictures when I get the chance folks ;)

Mike

Re:

I'll update the title now you know what I've gone and bought :facepalm:

The first year of production , according to the Fisher brochures in the Archive section .

Update to follow next ;)

Mike

Re:

Happy Bank Holiday everybody :)

Finally got around to starting my new project , after being distracted by some bike race thing and sorting bikes for it :roll:

I dropped the frame off at the LBS this morning , to have some headset cups put in . Said they'd have it done by 3pm , which gave me plenty of time to sort out the stuff going on it .
Firstly , the wheels . The paint was flaking off the inside of the rims which doesn't matter cosmetically , but didn't help with sticking the rim tapes down . So I cleaned them up with the drill and wire brush wheel thingy . Also , the edge of the rims were looking a bit ropey , with paint missing in a lot of places , so I also carefully took this off by hand with some sandpaper . Here's the result ,

Wanted to take the axle out , just to check the condition/rustiness of the cartridge bearings . Couldn't work out how to get them out though , despite having the proper tool for the job :shock: :LOL:

, along with the normal cone spanner for the other side .Here's what either side loooks like ,

This was only the case for the front wheel . The rear wheel had a cone on either side ,so was easily removed . However :facepalm: having got the axle out , I couldn't work out how the freehub body comes off . It's held on normally by a 10mm allen bolt , but not with these wheels :roll:

Can anyone possibly shed any light ? Put tapes , tyres and tubes on , along with the 12-23 8-speed cassette :shock:

Only had a road one , so I'll see how I get on with that :roll: :facepalm: The chainrings are the normal 22-32-42 so shouldn't be too high for most of the local stuff .
Here's the bits I'm planning on using for the build ,

Realised after taking the photo that I needed to clean those grips and paint the other pedal body , that had slipped my mind :roll: Both now done
Still need a b/b , chain and a saddle . Undecided on colour of saddle , but not black , there's enough of that already I think .

Got a choice of bar/stem combos . Would like flats , being an old race-head but the narrow ones would look a bit crap IMO , or wider , with a slight rise ones more conventional on a 29er .

Thoughts ?
I really don't want to get wider flat bars , but use some of what I already have .

Hope the weather holds , so I can get some more done outside tomorrow

Mike ;)

Attachments

• 29er rims.jpg
    29er rims.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 921
  • bonty axle tool.jpg
    bonty axle tool.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 921
  • bonty axle.jpg
    bonty axle.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 921
  • bonty axle 2.jpg
    bonty axle 2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 921
  • 29er parts.jpg
    29er parts.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 921
  • 29er freehub.jpg
    29er freehub.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 921
  • 29er wheels.jpg
    29er wheels.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 921
  • 29er bars.jpg
    29er bars.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 921
Re:

Looking good.

Bonty stem, to match all the other bits, although, you may find you want a shorter stem, as seems to be 'on trend' with 29'ers. See how it rides.

I have fitted 585 wide bars to my new project, and they appear narrow by comparison to the 600 plus bars a lot of bikes have, I shall see how it rides.

As personal experience with my son's 29'er showed, you can go too wide and make the bike unwieldy, both when ridden and when trying to store.

Re:

Thanks for your thoughts Neil ,

Got the headset in ,

:cool:

Now to start tarting the frame up . There was some paint missing here and there on the frame , and , to a lesser extent , the forks . The worst of which , was due to chainsuck ,

So after I heard about the nail varnish remedy on this forum , I went to Asda with my frame , and came away with candy apple red and ocean blue , thanks to Maybelline :LOL: :LOL: Got to work with them , and after a few coats , followed by a few more , and then some :roll: ended up with a happier looking frameset

Not brilliant I know , but I'm happy with the result , and it will be behind the chainset too , so not immediately obvious . The rest of the nail varnish touch up didn't look too bad either .
Time to bolt bits on :) :LOL:
Firstly , a Hope seatpost clamp that was given to me , as the thread was gone on half of it .

Do you think the M5 bolt and 8mm nut will be sufficient to hold my lardy 78kg in place ?

Put the wheels , bars , stem , seatpost and saddle on , along with the brake levers , shifters and grips . Starting to look like a bike now ! :cool:

Next up was the chainset and mechs . Hit a stombling block with the front mech , in that it fouled the rear tyre . Being of the dual pull design , it was introduced to Mr Grinder-File , and was persuaded to become a top pull variety !

We have clearance !

Cleaned up the brakes and put them on

More coming up chaps ;)

Attachments

• 29er headset in !.jpg
    29er headset in !.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 908
  • 29er frame 1.jpg
    29er frame 1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 908
  • 29er frame.jpg
    29er frame.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 908
  • 29er with nail varnish.jpg
    29er with nail varnish.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 908
  • 29er seatpost clamp.jpg
    29er seatpost clamp.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 911
  • 29er getting there.jpg
    29er getting there.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 913
  • 29er front mech.jpg
    29er front mech.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 911
  • 29er day 2.jpg
    29er day 2.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 908
Re:

That's it for today , done the lions share of the build , having more time and progress than I imagined having . Got to order the chain when I've finished this :oops:
Still got to sort out the yellow paint , probably get some Humbrol enamel paint for that . Used some black model paint on the rims and they are looking a lot tidier than when I got them :cool:
As I only painted the other Ritchey pedal body yesterday , I thought I'd give it another day to harden before putting it back together ,

Not a bad job I think .

So as well as those jobs , I just need to do cables and get a chain for it . Not sure on outer cable colour . Red and blue maybe ?
Have both black and grey outers for brake and gear , but may need some inners .

Hope you like it so far boys and girls ;)

Mike

Attachments

• 29er day 2 2.jpg
    29er day 2 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 907
  • repainted ritchey.jpg
    repainted ritchey.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 904
Re: Gary Fisher 29er . . . . . . from 2002 . Updated 24/8/14

nice job on the pedal cage, as well as the hole bike, Mike :cool:

that Bomber fork matching the paint of the front end perfectly. Nowadays you get used of the look of 29ers, but BITD the bike was kind of controvers discussion.

Back