FSR frame bearing upgrade - DIY - *Pg 1 for updates/pics*

Re: FSR frame bearing upgrade - DIY *PICS ADDED*

bigmick":2yvqkwck said:

close, but i really need them to be as per the measurements i've taken.
i'm a bit pedantic like that, if a washer doesnt sit perfectly centred, it'll bug me and i'll feel like i've bodged it!

the alu rod i got (12.7mm) is too big (kinda saw that coming) but i have resources to machine it down.
also have a someone i'm discussing with at the moment that has some 12mm alu rod they are willing to donate to the cause :)

slow progress though as it probably wont take shape for another week or so....:(

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

keep on going mate. Rome wasn't built in a day, remember ;)

they are but minor set backs. plenty of ways to get what i want, just need to find them!
need to order 2 more needle bearing seals(annoying as if i'd realised then could have saved on postage!) will get these next week though.

certainly coming together nicely though :)

Re:

righty-o
new update and pics on page 1

still trying to get my bushes sorted. seems they need different bore sizes (M6 and M:cool: just need to figure out (guess) which ones are which ;)

still looking for suitable washers though :roll:

might have to settle for ones that need whittling down....

projects taken a bit of a back seat, holidays and work getting in the way :)

got Rampage on the case though, hopefully he can help me out with the last bits to help me get this project back off the ground :)

Good work so far though!!

FWIW i dont know anywhere that still sells the original nylon bushes anyway, so us older FSR folk HAVE to do this kind of mod eventually.

S-M":2jx759w6 said:
Good work so far though!!

FWIW i dont know anywhere that still sells the original nylon bushes anyway, so us older FSR folk HAVE to do this kind of mod eventually.

thanks guys,

I had some nylon bushes made up for me, but these arent easy to make - since the nylon is quite soft and getting a nice accurate/smooth finish isnt particularly easy!

will be giving Rampage a polite nudge this week to see whats what :) he's a busy chap!

really want this finished this summer so i can at least trial it all. i may have to splash out on a main pivot bearing kit though (£50 from BETD!) not sure how my home made washers will work with the standard set up.

Bump a roo.

As some of you know, I bought an enduro seat stay a while back to use on my old 98 GC, but I got the wrong year, finding out after a days graft to machine the shock linkages fittings away by hand, that this later model had shorter drop outs, but longer chain stays to compensate (and I dont have the chainstays whoops)

Anyway I kept the part in the man cave, recently rediscovering it hanging up, this part already came with bearings in the drop out join, they are 688 2rs cartridge bearings, hacking the housing apart to get the bearings out intact, I discover that they sit in the seat stay butted up to an internal flange to stop them moving about, while having a smaller washer the same width of the internal flange to take up any play.

I strip my bike down and remove the stock oem parts, the small tube that the bolt fits through to bolt them on is a perfect fit, I know this already from my attempts to fit the later seat stay to my old bike, but what I never knew is that the 688 2rs bearings are also a direct fit for my original seat stays, I simply slide the tube through one bearing, add the washer, slide the other bearing onto the tube and then press the lot into the seat stay, you can then remove the tube.

This setup will be recessed internally on both sides, I had planned to use nylon washers to help keep the setup centered (my seat stays dont have the original flange/lip to prevent the bearings moving about) the nylon washers I did have "in stock" seamed a little too thick, so I cut down the old top hat bushes to suit, if you leave a little lip on them they will sit in the recess that the new bearings make, keeping everything centered if the bearings ever wanted to move about (doubtfull when you have to press them in, but you never know)

Its all bolted up now and working great, costs would be four 688 2rs bearings and a couple of washers, cheap as chips, there not needle bearings, but they are all specialized oem parts :)

I think the betd kit just for the little conversion by itself is 35quid :eek:

It's still a further 120ish quid to replace the rest via betd, I may just pay for the main pivot upgrade as its the main part and probably gets the most grief and load/forces on the bike, im pretty sure its also the part on mine giving the bloody squeek.

688 2rs bearings on ebay are 1.50 for 2, so 3quid all in if you have a couple of washers handy, you could easily do the mod without the washers to spread the bearings apart, but to my eyes, keeping the bearings apart internaly might help spread any twisting forces/load.

Needle bearings are better with the twisting forces, no doubt about that.

Back