FSR frame bearing upgrade - DIY - *Pg 1 for updates/pics*

Re: FSR frame bearing upgrade - DIY *PICS ADDED*

I replaced the rear shock on the full suspension bike my wife has with a Rockshox one. The bushes for the Rockshox one were OK but slightly too narrow. So being a cheapskate I used some nylon washers like the ones in your OP to make up the space.
Can't remember exactly where I got them, B&Q or maybe Halfords as they sell lots of different small fixings stuff in wee packets like small nuts and bolts, pop-rivets, washers etc. Will search the distant reaches of my fading memory to be sure. Or not.:oops:

Is it the dimensions of shock bushes you need or for main chain-stay pivot?

judging by the comments from other forums/FSR riders, the difference between the nylon bush setup and the needle roller bearing setup, its definitely worth a go.
a more technical reason is that it does reduce wear to the A links - something which when i took mine apart, i could tell would be an issue, as some of the bushes/washers removed came out easier on one side than the other.

im also only doing this because i get naff all time to ride, so may as well take it all apart and fiddle so that when i do get to ride, its extra special ;) (plus i cant afford the kits from BETD) - I think the reason for the prices at BETD is due to the custom bush/washer requirements.
but if there is a way to get round that, then i'll find it ;)

update :) will be getting in touch with someone to make some bushes once im all measured up.

twain":3loamg2r said:
update :) will be getting in touch with someone to make some bushes once im all measured up.
Order extra, am interested ;)

lol, will keep a tab on requests, but cant make any promises yet.
I'm going to try and get the bushes made for the following parts of my frame:

Top of seat stay
Shock link
A-links (near the drop outs)

dimensions requirements:
outer diameter 12mm
inner diamter - 6mm or 8mm, not sure yet, will check existing bolt dimensions
length - this varies between the 3 parts on the frame, but i will need a total of 4 bushes.

my initial idea was to get a length of aluminium tube (OD12mm ID6mm/8mm) then cut them to length. But i cant find a length of alu tube with OD12mm
tried looking for steel but still no luck.
so will probably have to get a lathe operator to sort me out, as i can only seem to get hold of metal rods which will need the bore added to it.
i dont have the tools to do this unfortunately.

old_coyote_pedaller":jf9zo9sa said:
I replaced the rear shock on the full suspension bike my wife has with a Rockshox one. The bushes for the Rockshox one were OK but slightly too narrow. So being a cheapskate I used some nylon washers like the ones in your OP to make up the space.
Can't remember exactly where I got them, B&Q or maybe Halfords as they sell lots of different small fixings stuff in wee packets like small nuts and bolts, pop-rivets, washers etc. Will search the distant reaches of my fading memory to be sure. Or not.:oops:

Is it the dimensions of shock bushes you need or for main chain-stay pivot?

this would be very helpful indeed. i'll nip over to B&Q/halfords at lunch to see if i can find anything :)

found these today for the shock linkage setup - needle roller bearing seals:

G%20Seal.jpg

exact ones i need here: (12mm ID x 16mm OD x 3mm wide)

http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/g12x16x3_skf.html

most expensive part yet at just under £8 posted for 2......

recieved my 12.7mm M6 aluminium shaft today.
will be checking its fit with the needle rollers - bit dubious as i think it may come up slightly too large. but i have a potential contact to get it machined down and cut to length.
should get the needle bearing seals tomorrow too.

just need to sort out my washers then im pretty much there! costs updated in OP.

Back