From a wrecked Peugeot to a refurbed Richards..

Had a chance to grab the Richards from the loft and sit it on its new wheels this morning.
IMG_4149.jpeg
I’m also going to have a go at refurbing the special edition Turbo saddle which came on the Peugeot too.
IMG_4150.jpeg
It’s in poor shape but I’m not expecting it to turn out mint and I don’t want to throw it away.

Some good progress over the bank holiday weekend. Got the original 8 speed cassette stripped and cleaned up, I like these ones that have 3 bolts which undo - you can take them right to pieces and get them 100% clean.
Found a tyre and ordered another to match. Ambrosio bars and Profile stem from the stash fitted on.
IMG_4156.jpeg
The Turbo came up ok after a glue/paint/sand/polish.
IMG_4157.jpeg
Got the group cleaned, I’ll give the mechs a service and the cable adjusters a polish up before fitting.
IMG_4155.jpeg
Obviously there’s some scuffs and marks on the parts, that’s to be expected given the bike they came off.. I’m not fussed about that really - just want to get the Richards assembled and rideable. Don’t mind a bit of wear and tear on this one, if it’s too nice I know I’ll be reluctant to take it out and use it, been there before. :LOL:

More progress, I really lucked out with the spare or repairs sti’s I ordered. The left hand one was the one I needed and I managed to service it and get it working. The hoods on them are better than mine too so on those went. That really only left the cabling up to do which went really straightforwardly, gears all indexed and working well.
Here’s where it stands:
IMG_4166.jpeg IMG_4167.jpeg IMG_4168.jpeg
Just need to choose bar tape now, I have some nos Ambrosio checked or some white with little cork shavings in it. I wasn’t sure if I should just order some plain black but I’ll probably go with the white..
Just need to do a shake down ride on it but the quick spin round the block this evening was very promising. :)

I like the bike and I really like this particular group set. I think you'll find it to be a very slick and sweet ride. You are having a great year this year 😍👍
Cheers, I purposely parked this one up to wait for this exact groupset to show up. Just so lucky that the donor bike showed up where and when it did. The Peugeot was £15 so I figure I did really well.
The paint on this has been done really nicely, I know it’s not to everyone’s taste on a vintage bike but I love it - it looks so 90’s! I can only imagine someone revamped it back then when it was 10 years old or so in order to give it a new lease of life. That’s why I wanted the 600 group - it fits the bike perfectly.

IMG_4195.jpeg
All finished, I was just waiting on bar tape and rear drop out screws - both now installed.
Managed to sell the forks off the donor bike on eBay for £15 too so the parts bike was effectively free! Result.
Just waiting on my friend to recover from a whiplash injury and then we’ll get out together and put some miles on this. :)

Back