Frame numbers Rocky Mountain

A few days ago I got hold of a 1992 Blizzard frame with serial I9112 0100.

P1010262.JPG

Just checked my Hammer, serial reads as

I91071173

I thought all Blizzards had a 'B' in the serial?

Tousi":cys8945x said:
Just checked my Hammer, serial reads as I91071173

I thought all Blizzards had a 'B' in the serial?
Not according to this thread. My 97 Equipe has serial B9608 0310 and it is the same as a 97 Blizzard frame, but the earlier ones have I numbers. I don't think it can be anything to do with Ishiwata as suggested above, as none of the frames uses Ishiwata tubing, nor did ishiwata ever make frames (just tubes). I wonder whether the I could stand for something as mundane as 'inshore', as RM did have some frames built offshore from the earliest times.

captaincosmic":1po0r05t said:
Aha so my T is an I then
You have a T and seven numerals. Everybody else has an I and eight numerals.

Except for the 93 Blizzard, which has a completely different format and coincidentally or otherwise was also the only Rocky to have True Temper tubes, to the best of my knowledge.

Anthony, my ? for Ishiwata was before getting other codes in and only because my Fusion used the I and used Ishiwata tubing (triple butted :roll:) so was a best guess.

I'd always assumed that the I's where made elsewhere.

The '93 Altitude also use True temper if only for a stay or two, probably left overs from the Blizzard.

Anyway, I always thought RM.... where the built in house (i.e. by the top chaps) and not on the factory floor. Of course I don't know the setup back then, or now.
But Dekerf says that he built the 1991 Altitudes and they where outsourced to him as he was not an employee at the time (he had left 2 years before).

So who knows where things where built :LOL:

but at least the Ixxxx..... seem easy to understand as IYYMMxxxx
and the Y's also seem to follow the year format.

Anyone with any more codes ?

My 92 Blizzard has I9112 9335
94 has none, but then again it has a mysterious origin to it.
95 I believe has a serial number starting with B.

FC… where's your thread for you recently acquired Altitude, eh???

Back