FOUND ~ 20" large steel hardtail disc frame ~ £250

I like the virtues of powdercoat too, particularly the robustness. But on Alu frames not steel, as for the reasons mentioned.

Whats more environmentally friendly, powdercoating once and a frame being unfit to paint again - thus requiring a new frame sooner, or a finish that can be repeated often?

Of course it may well turn out fine, im just quoting what ive seen/heard elsewhere on the subject. Personally, I don't take the risk.

KeepItSteel":48inehvq said:
I like the virtues of powdercoat too, particularly the robustness. But on Alu frames, as for the reasons mentioned.

Whats more environmentally friendly, powdercoating once and a frame being unfit to paint again - thus requiring a new frame sooner, or a finish that can be repeated often?

Of course it may well turn out fine, im just quoting what ive seen/heard elsewhere on the subject.

Hope so!

I've had a lot of frames powdercoated, so long as they're well prep'd and well coated they've all been fine. I do take your point though, hadn't really thought of it that way.

Time will tell I guess

Me too :)

Again, personally, I wince a little when I read of a frame being powdercoated. Although mainly because its much harder to remove the stuff if you want to make the frame your own.

Im sure it'll look good so hope it works out well for you.

I've left my s/s Inbred battle scarred as I love how it wears its damage with pride, plus then I don't have to be precious about it - I actually ride this one -hard!

KeepItSteel":84wfgurw said:

Again, personally, I wince a little when I read of a frame being powdercoated. Although mainly because its much harder to remove the stuff if you want to make the frame your own.

I've left my s/s Inbred battle scarred as I love how it wears its damage with pride, plus then I don't have to be precious about it - I actually ride this one -hard!

indeed! I just HATE the colour of cooie's :LOL: and for once, I will be keeping this for a good while (he says......................)

The 853 tubes of the frame should be fairly resilient to rust.

Never had a problem with any powdercoated frames Inc my Cotic, Pace and Singular.

My latest powdercoated frame is certainly not plastic coated in anyway.

With all steal frames just treat them to a good dose of frame saver. Great stuff just horrible to apply!

Dead Rats":3s7u1zfp said:
KeepItSteel":3s7u1zfp said:

indeed! I just HATE the colour of cooie's :LOL: and for once, I will be keeping this for a good while (he says......................)

Ride it before you paint it, just in case you don't get on with it..

letmetalktomark":2ksiovqz said:

Never had a problem with any powdercoated frames Inc my Cotic, Pace and Singular.

With all steal frames just treat them to a good dose of frame saver. Great stuff just horrible to apply!

yes I'll be using that - any tips for first timer... presuming outside, gloves, goggles, mask even? :)

Dead Rats":12f47uj0 said:
letmetalktomark":12f47uj0 said:

yes I'll be using that - any tips for first timer... presuming outside, gloves, goggles, mask even? :)

Outside yes.

Its pretty nasty stuff so a mask can be useful.

Sanitary towels :oops: :LOL:

Some bits of cotton wool for the breather holes and take your time :cool:

Im afraid it is, powder coating is essentially a form of plastic type granules melted into a uniform surface

Yes, that will help the inside of the tubes. But what about the outer surface?

Rust creeps under the 'plastic' surface of powdercoat, after moisture gets in through any tiny holes/damage. The metal tends not to be sealed and protected underneath the top coat in the same way a traditional paint job is primered.
Google it for examples.
Im sure there are many examples of it not causing an issue, just be aware that it can be. Some (steel)frame builders/painters wont touch the stuff.

Back