FOUND ~ 20" large steel hardtail disc frame ~ £250

coomber":1u16x9q9 said:
Rust under powdercoat? If blasted first it will be the same as from new. No issues. Looking forward to seeing this built up.

got colours in mind... Jamaican flag theme (as opposed to rasta) green, gold and black :)

Same colours as the 853 logo in fact :mrgreen:

coomber":1clheec2 said:
Rust under powdercoat? If blasted first it will be the same as from new. No issues. Looking forward to seeing this built up.

Yes, powdercoat is like a skin of plastic around the steel. The theory is that any damage, even a pin hole to the surface of the powdercoat can let moisture in which spreads away unbeknownst until the damage is done.

There are images of steel powdercoated frames with web like structures forming under the finish..ie, rust.

Dead Rats":19rxcwrq said:
got colours in mind... Jamaican flag theme (as opposed to rasta) green, gold and black :)

Same colours as the 853 logo in fact :mrgreen:

A bit like my soon to be complete roadie then?.. (tricky to make out the green King and brake pads in my rubbish pic)

DSC_0155.jpg

KeepItSteel":37fghfmq said:
coomber":37fghfmq said:

Yes, powdercoat is like a skin of plastic around the steel. The theory is that any damage, even a pin hole to the surface of the powdercoat can let moisture in which spreads away unbeknownst until the damage is done.

There are images of steel powdercoated frames with web like structures forming under the finish..ie, rust.

I'll just re do it then :LOL:

Dead Rats":2rqtq12e said:
KeepItSteel":2rqtq12e said:
coomber":2rqtq12e said:

I'll just re do it then :LOL:

Unless damage to metalwork writes off the frame. Thats the problem, is goes unoticed for a long time.
Plus stripping powdercoat is more abrasive to a frame, it can cause more damage.
Just sayin.

KeepItSteel":36ksoa6e said:
coomber":36ksoa6e said:

I like the robustness of p/coat, the relative cheapness, and the fact that - as I understand it - of all the methods of refinishing in colour it's the most environmentally friendly

Back