FOUND ~ 20" large steel hardtail disc frame ~ £250

Nonsense plenty of builders use powder coating on some very fancy frames.

Good frame prep and time spent on the coating is what is needed. My powder coaters zinc coat the frame after blasting to act as a key for the powder.

I guess, in part, it's down to what you pay.

Possibly, you certainly get what you pay for. I'm sure many would not promote the virtues of powdercoating if it happened to be more expensive than conventional spraying.

It can't really be nonsense if there is info/evidence to the contrary?

Even if powdercoat doesn't promote hidden rust, repeatedly blasting/dipping & heating a frame will affect the metal, no matter how magical you think 853 is.

My two penn'orth:
My Soulcraft was powder coated from new by one of the premier custom powdercoaters in the US.It's getting to the stage now, 9 years later, where the coating is starting to come off, at the seat tube clamp, chain stay and hose guides. It comes off in chunks, and it is very hard to halt the spread of the flaking. You can neatly scribe a limit to tidy it up, but sealing the bare metal/powdercoat edge is impossible. Paint seems to cause the PC to peel up again, potentially allowing moisture underneath.
Once powdercoating starts to go, there's nothing that can be done except paint it again. It can't be touched up like paint can.
So for the re-spray, I'm going wet!

9 years is good going. Happy respray!
I'm so tempted to buy the equipment and give it a go myself, i'd love to make my own custom options.

Back