Wanted Forks 26” 1 1/8” 390 a-c with steerer > 240mm

topov77

Retro Newbie
Hi there. Apologies, long time lurker but a committed retro biker with a ‘92 Marin Bear Valley being my sole bike. There have many configurations over over the years but in spirit, it’s the same bike I wheeled out Williams Cycles, Stockbridge, Edinburgh 30 years ago. A daily commuter, explorer and trail centre steed with the kids!

A top forum, given far too many hours of entertainment over the years :)

Anyway, enough waffle and also conscious I’ve little goodwill in the forum bank by way of useful contributions but I will karma a very nice mid range Specialized frame and forks I was given once I can get to the back of my garage.

My ask is for a set of steel forks with a long steerer so I can safely use an ahead stem. The dream would be Marin forks of that size, Tange Prestige like the set you see badly advertised on Amazon (actual Infinity with different A-C) or triple butted P2s.

But I’d just be delighted with a pair of sub kilo-ish forks, paint condition not important.

Sorry, I know it’s the steerer length that makes this tricky!

Alternatively, if you knew of any retailers selling forks of this description, I’d be hugely grateful for that info.

Even tips for frame builders extending steerers would be appreciated but on these last two points, I’m best checking past threads I suspect…

Many thanks, happy riding/building and happy new year!

Marin forks of that era were all threaded.....and for some years after.

Also, be aware that infinity is very different to prestige in its make up and treatment.

Surly lht forks might fit the bill off the shelf, although you wont get wide tyres into them.

Failing that, if you want generic 26" ahead, try st johns street cycles, they had some for cheap a while back.

Many thanks for your reply Tootyred! That’s pretty much my search history, unfortunately found LHT and Thorn a-c are too short but I did spot the generic 26” forks at SJS cycles mentioned with 390 a-c so I’ll have another look. Noted about the threaded steerer too. The BV was blessed with the ‘750g’(or was it 850 sticker long gone…) l fork though think it might be closer to 1kg. And I guess long steerer adds to that so probably not much in it at the end of the day. Also wondering about just sticking with the quill, if it ain’t broke and all…

Thanks again!

Don't belive those stickers for a moment.:LOL:

Ive never had a pair, even on a team that came in at 750g. (I think marin weighed the 15" version, filled with helium). My pine mountain ones on a large 19" frame weighed in at 871g with the eyeles etc ground off! Ive a set of 20.5" tange prestige and they weigh in at 920g.........The bottom end ones ( round end to blades rather than flat) are even heavier pushing a kilo at points.

With your long 240mm steerer they are going to be around the kilo mark, unless they are pretty exotic.

Don't belive those stickers for a moment.:LOL:

Ive never had a pair, even on a team that came in at 750g. (I think marin weighed the 15" version, filled with helium). My pine mountain ones on a large 19" frame weighed in at 871g with the eyeles etc ground off! Ive a set of 20.5" tange prestige and they weigh in at 920g.........The bottom end ones ( round end to blades rather than flat) are even heavier pushing a kilo at points.

With your long 240mm steerer they are going to be around the kilo mark, unless they are pretty exotic.

Ah, that’s starting to make some of the unfamiliar branded 1100g forks with long steerers far more appealing! Many thanks for taking the time to send on all the information, much appreciated :)

Just measures 1155 grams for a 260mm 1 » threaded Tange Prestige fork
Just measures 1155 grams for a 260mm 1 » threaded Tange Prestige fork
Thanks too Pierre! I’d almost begun to wonder if my BV forks just had the 750g sticker / ‘92 paint though maybe ‘91 heavierforks which I’d read about happening on this thread with model year changes. Tootyred sounds spot in with the helium 😆

Back