Ford Focus Fuel Problem?

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've got an '05 reg Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec, which has done 75,000 miles.

We've had the car for almost 3 months now, and have had a few issues with it. It's been back to the dealer probably 7-8 times since we bought it.

Yesterday morning, the trip computer stated that there were 43 miles left in the tank before it was empty.

My girlfriend drove the car to work and back yesterday (total = about 7 miles). We then drove to Barry and back yesterday night (total = about 14 miles).

When we left Barry to come home, I noticed that the trip computer was showing that we had 26 miles left. This was roughly right given that we'd driven about 14-15 miles that day so far, and taking into account stopping/starting etc.

By the time we got home, the trip computer was showing that we had 13 miles left. I thought that this was a little odd, given that it's only 7 miles from Barry to our house and we'd hardly been putting the engine through it's paces!

We got into the car this morning, and before we'd even set off, the computer was showing that we only had 9 miles left in the tank - so it had lost 4 miles worth of fuel while it was parked overnight :shock::shock:

I checked where the car was parked and there was no fuel on the road, so I ruled out a leak.

Could it be that our fuel tank sender unit is giving faulty readings, or is it just because the car is in the red for the last 50 miles of fuel, so readings are less accurate anyway. Any advice would be appreciated as the car is still under warranty, but only until the end of the month!

Is the computer not re-calculating all the time with your current speed / mpg status?

Nothing to worry about chap .. They are famously inaccurate as you start to approach empty or more particular once the 50 miles left warning comes on

We have a mk1 focus tdci 2004, the miles till empty I find is brilliant but once it goes below 50 miles left it is incredibly vague.. Go down to say 25 miles left and then top up with a tenna's worth if fuel and it often doesn't even register at all on the miles to go but does on the conventional fuel gauge

Sometimes the long runs actually see the miles to go rise because it is an average best guess guide

Below about 25 miles to go... Use the fuel gauge.. Or put more fuel in ya tight wad :LOL:

put some petrol in it ya tight git

are you shure tho ? i think you should drive it till it runs out just to see if the gauge calibration's off or not

mikee":2a2tgmdg said:
put some petrol in it ya tight git

stylus":2a2tgmdg said:
Or put more fuel in ya tight wad :LOL:

I'm starting to notice a pattern here! ;) :LOL: :LOL:

We can usually make a tank of petrol last a whole month. It was payday yesterday so we were just trying to eke out a few more miles before we filled it up. Next time we'll be topping it up once the light comes on!

The mileage left is generally an indication only, i once had -3 miles left on my Beamer, they do recalculate on the hoof , so you can find your self with say 38 miles left for 10 miles if your driving more efficiently then when you started ( if that makes sense )

Also fuel gauges are not linear hence it will sit of full for ages , the the last quarter drops like a stone

light on= fuel in , safest bet :D

Range remaining is based on a number of factors, varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but generally:

1. The amount of fuel left in the tank
2. A weighted average of previous fuel consumption (I've seen it based on the last sixteen fill-ups).

Whilst the second is generally stable, as others have mentioned, once you get past the "50 miles to go" low fuel warning, the variability goes up, one reason is that the movement of the fuel around the tank will have a greater impact on the measured fuel level. e.g. - 2cm of "slosh" has a greater impact when you've only got 4cm of fuel left compared to 20cm (I know that's not the right units but you get the idea).

My Focus ('99 1.8L), fuel gauge always "slips down a little" over night - everything has had a nice chance to stabilise over night. Don't have a trip computer, just a gauge and on a fill to click it over-reads the full marker.

My Mum's 58 reg seems to make it's own mind up on the fuel computer so I wouldn't worry. Shame you've had all those problems. I've run Focus for the last 10 years (had 3) and have never had a problem so replace one with another but my mate had one that was always going wrong.

Seem to remember Top Gear doing a fuel run (to Blackpool?) and all the cars ran on for miles after the computer said they were out of fuel.

thats not bad, put ya foot down in my RS and fuel nearly empies itself on the fuel gauge lol,then fills back up when steadying at speed :roll:

Our S Max shows near fifty on the range when pointed downhill, yet flicks to 0 when pointed up a hill.

Since I crashed it the sender seems to be very dubious, I tend to make sure not to let it go below half a tank.

I noticed my heated mirrors are not working. Haven't noticed that until now since getting it back from repair!

It is a good idea at this time of year to leave most of a tank in, you never know when you might get stuck!

Back