For those who can and cannot play a guitar...

No Neil, I am not saying these are wanky things, just that in the hands of the likes of Vai, a lot of lovely scales and such become mere foils to his excess. His sound is overprocessed too, something Roth countered, getting him to rock out much more.

Dave Lee Roth is clearly the man who put the pop and fizz into VH, he strides across the rock pantheon like some funky behemoth. I have no deeper love for a man outside my family. He is the Tom Bombadil of music.

If you want studied perfection with little emotion try some Eric Johnson. Eughhhhh.

Give me Joe Walsh showing them all how to groove back on that guitar expo in the 90s.

Now there is a guitar player!

Re:

Lads you are all stating the blatantly obvious,noodling/shredding/technical playing has about as much emotion as an i phone.Tina`s technical ability is whats being lauded here....

highlandsflyer":25nwk9vp said:
No Neil, I am not saying these are wanky things, just that in the hands of the likes of Vai, a lot of lovely scales and such become mere foils to his excess.
No doubt - I wasn't railing against them being wanky - often they are, as you point out.

It's funny, I played the piano for a reasonable amount of my time, in my youth (10 years, being taught all through those years) and never really valued it. Having to spend many hours, during many years, practising scales, arpeggios and other drills, they always seemed so very tedious. And in some ways they were - I kinda got the value, just didn't really value the value.

Fast forward 25 years of practically zero playing, and return to it, and scales and other drills have been a major aspect of getting some proficiency back, but, oddly, there's something I find more rewarding at my age, now.

highlandsflyer":25nwk9vp said:
Dave Lee Roth is clearly the man who put the pop and fizz into VH, he strides across the rock pantheon like some funky behemoth. I have no deeper love for a man outside my family.
Always been a fan of Roth, as you know. So many rap on about Eddie on the guitar, but it was Roth that made Van Halen as a band, great.

All the same, as much as I love the dude, I couldn't help but laugh when Lamarr called him "...rock knobhead David Lee Roth..." on Buzzcocks, some years back. There's a bit of knobhead in all of us.

BB put more in one note than Vai has in a career.

Beck know what he is doing.

On a good day, Clapton can still put it out there.

Page, as a player who is a songwriter beyond reckoning, is beyond any earthly description.

Neil Young has a nerve strand attaching his brain and heart to his guitar.

Prince is one of the most complete musicians since Stone, he has a mastery of the guitar that can only emanate from the soul.

Lots to choose from, but some of my favourite guitar players..

Walter Trout

Greg Koch

Tom Verlaine

The thing is that Vai presents these techniques as art, as music, when in the classical arena they would merely be techniques.

Most classical music promotes composition over technique, Paganini and the ilk aside.

Once Roth got hold of him he put him in his place. Look at me, you dolt.

I am a rock god, and you need to emulate my spirit.

1984 Donington VH were everything I hoped for, and thirty years later I can still hear Roth's put down for a bottle thrower, "Hey man, if you throw another bottle at me I am gonna come down there and f... your girlfriend!"

Legend!

highlandsflyer":17ebw3l3 said:
BB put more in one note than Vai has in a career.

Beck know what he is doing.

On a good day, Clapton can still put it out there.

Page, as a player who is a songwriter beyond reckoning, is beyond any earthly description.

Neil Young has a nerve strand attaching his brain and heart to his guitar.

Prince is one of the most complete musicians since Stone, he has a mastery of the guitar that can only emanate from the soul.

Lots to choose from, but some of my favourite guitar players..
Your omitting one of the finest guitarists and a Scot to boot-John Mc Geoch of the Banshees-sheer genius.

Walter Trout

Greg Koch

Tom Verlaine

Re:

+1 for Walter Trout,

No-one heard of Buddy Guy? Saw him a few years ago, in his 70s, and still as good as ever :cool: :cool:

mike

Baturally I am going to be omitting a lot of players, given I presented a tiny list.

Kris Drever is worth an ear if anyone has the energy too.

Richard Thompson is literally God.

Back