Fisher Y frame -- thoughts?

DrDaveTampa

Old School Hero
Up for sale locally for $150. Kind of a weird mix of stuff. Appears to have late 90s LX cranks, alivio rd, z1 forks. Sun rear rim, Ritchey front. Avid levers.

I imagine the rear shock will need rebuilt or replaced, no idea how much of a hassle that'll be. Don't mind rebuilding the fork.

My feeling is, the only things that have value here are the frame and fork, maybe the Ritchey rim (like I need another orphan) but, $150 for that stuff isn't terrible, is it? Not looking to flip it, just don't want to wind up too far upside down... Seems like it might be fun to ride

Attachments

• 01212_3dNAUGzUHhz_0pP0jn_600x450.jpg
    01212_3dNAUGzUHhz_0pP0jn_600x450.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 01111_bAzxG2rpzHE_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
    01111_bAzxG2rpzHE_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 43
Avid levers have a small value too, hard to tell from the poor pics but they might be M600 V brakes my personal faves. Front hub looks well oversized too... Personally with frame forks and maybe a few other little bits you shouldn't be too far upside down IMHO...

A workmate of mine in the 90s was a big GF fan and went through several in short order. While I liked the HTs I found the full squidgy an abomination to ride. No reflection on GF, it's just Y frame a seriously flawed layout for a full squidge bike.

That said, if its your thing, if it's something you listed after as a spotty yoof, then don't let that put you off. If nothing else it has a combo of decent and interesting kit on it.

Eh dangit the dude already sold it. Guess the price wasn't that far out of line...

Thanks for the comments

I've developed this weird fascination with those Y frames, I know people curse the handling but the looks are just out-there. Crazy. It could be a cool art project. I'll call it "The Alan Parsons Project"

ETA: I had to look up Spotty Yoof, haha. I'm gonna have to remember that for the next time I play Scrabble. (To me, Scrabble is like hockey; the fights are the most fun part)

Last edited:
Eh dangit the dude already sold it. Guess the price wasn't that far out of line...

Thanks for the comments

I've developed this weird fascination with those Y frames, I know people curse the handling but the looks are just out-there. Crazy. It could be a cool art project. I'll call it "The Alan Parsons Project"

ETA: I had to look up Spotty Yoof, haha. I'm gonna have to remember that for the next time I play Scrabble. (To me, Scrabble is like hockey; the fights are the most fun part)
Y bikes remind me of those outrageous 70's electric guitars. So there's that

Back