Firefox 3.5.2

I find the location targeted advertising thing a bit creepy

is that why whenever im streaming some pron all the ads say " hey talk to these hot girls in grantham " . come on do they think im stupid . theyre not fat enough to live in grantham , thats why im watching pron on the interweb :LOL:

i must be the only person that finds firefox shite . its forever freezing when i try to close it . i always get a " firefox is not responding , click to close "

and that thing when video is streaming and it stutters so every firefox window needs to be closed . i never had that before using it

ive tried using others but they are either crap or wont accept my favourites

perry":35fz3f0o said:
I find the location targeted advertising thing a bit creepy

is that why whenever im streaming some pron all the ads say " hey talk to these hot girls in grantham " . come on do they think im stupid . theyre not fat enough to live in grantham , thats why im watching pron on the interweb :LOL:

No, that's taken direct from your IP address given by your ISP and look it up and 'guess' where you are from you ISP server location.
FireFoxwilleatyou368439.jpg

Location awareness is actually very useful and more advanced than that. Say you go on holiday and you go to the BBC or ITV website. If they used it and you let them, then they could automatically set your local area to where you are. Instead of you having to add it. So TV schedules, local new, weather is all there for you.

It is also useful for mobile devices (iPod for example) and could give you a map of where you are or what's near you without you even knowing where you are.

FluffyChicken":vs0ljio2 said:
Location awareness is actually very useful and more advanced than that. Say you go on holiday and you go to the BBC or ITV website. If they used it and you let them, then they could automatically set your local area to where you are. Instead of you having to add it. So TV schedules, local new, weather is all there for you.

It is also useful for mobile devices (iPod for example) and could give you a map of where you are or what's near you without you even knowing where you are.

I know it's great for convenience, but you really have to think about the potential for this kind of technology to be misused. Which is why I'd not like to have it.

But they can already guess your location from you IP address ?

Unless you run through 'Elite' proxies that is. (i.e. do not pass you IP information on)

But then that going a bit overboard.

Miss use is only there if FireFox/Opera/IE/Safari etcc turn it on by default without you knowing. So far FireFox asks you first.

Just wait till you get a computer/device with Location Sensors etc in them ;)
http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/yochay/W ... -Location/

It's not just IP address, though! It's also any nearby wireless access points.

It's like phones with GPS built in. Creepy.

I'm saying without the Wi-Fi, they can already get you approx location for where you are now today.

The Wi-Fi part just narrows it down a bit by triangulation of known locations.
A bit like they can mobile phones already via triangulation from their masts.

Not sure if it knows you are on the loo though.

Back