Keep it original or upgrade parts

velomentary

Devout Dirtbag
Hello - not been on here in a while. I'm currently working on an Apollo Legend bicycle. I've started really getting back into the kinds of bikes that were maybe affordable when I was younger and not chasing dreams as much - since acquiring this trusty stead I have moved further and further away from doing any upgrades apart from new tyres. What's people's thoughts on keeping things original? I was going to upgrade to more of a modern tourer but then that original bike that someone would have bought just wouldn't be the same. It's pretty worthless as a bike but lovely in history to me. PXL_20230812_191558219.jpg

If the discussion is "what is more comfortable or better engineered" and you are set for period correct.
I'll take +/- 5yr as period correct, I have bikes where it is reversed as to "better and newer"
You do you, but as far as I am concerned if it's a rider, it needs to be a rider. Even if it needs a saddle from 2022.

Although I went through a phase of thinking of upgrades even before buying a bike, now I'm more on your side, touching the bikes the bare minimum to keep them working. If they are original, I also get the feeling that if the bike has been kept like that for 25 years I should not change that, as long as it's working.

My kids are currently on 16" and 20" bikes, that already use "adult" components. The temptation to upgrade was huge, as most stuff is really basic, but since the bikes work and they will outgrow them in 18 months, what is the point? I can resell them cheap (bought them used anyway) and finance the next size without much investment.

Over upgrading also has the negative effect of making it harder to sell your bikes, because if you invested so much money you don't want to lose it, but on the other hand you'll never get your money back. And I always laugh at how we lie to ourselves when we say "this bike was nearly free because I used stuff from my parts bin", as if the bin got full on its own, magically and free.

The only moment when I allow myself to upgrade is when something breaks or wears out, as I feel I have "earned" it. Nothing crazy, I have no garage queens but limited time and budget!

Finally, the sign for me that Shimano is superior to the other drivetrain manufacturers is that nobody else can make a derailleur for 15£ that you can find still working in 10 years. It's easier for SRAM or Campagnolo to make good stuff when you charge £££ for it...

Although I went through a phase of thinking of upgrades even before buying a bike, now I'm more on your side, touching the bikes the bare minimum to keep them working. If they are original, I also get the feeling that if the bike has been kept like that for 25 years I should not change that, as long as it's working.

My kids are currently on 16" and 20" bikes, that already use "adult" components. The temptation to upgrade was huge, as most stuff is really basic, but since the bikes work and they will outgrow them in 18 months, what is the point? I can resell them cheap (bought them used anyway) and finance the next size without much investment.

Over upgrading also has the negative effect of making it harder to sell your bikes, because if you invested so much money you don't want to lose it, but on the other hand you'll never get your money back. And I always laugh at how we lie to ourselves when we say "this bike was nearly free because I used stuff from my parts bin", as if the bin got full on its own, magically and free.

The only moment when I allow myself to upgrade is when something breaks or wears out, as I feel I have "earned" it. Nothing crazy, I have no garage queens but limited time and budget!

Finally, the sign for me that Shimano is superior to the other drivetrain manufacturers is that nobody else can make a derailleur for 15£ that you can find still working in 10 years. It's easier for SRAM or Campagnolo to make good stuff when you charge £££ for it...
Thanks 👍- that's a comprehensive way to view it all. I think I'm a bit OCD when it comes to changing original bikes. The average person on the street wouldn't care less no doubt but we are all a bit zany in the retro bicycles world. I'm going to put new tyres and new brake blocks are defo needed but then I'll ride and see how I feel. Thanks for your thoughts

I take an approah from the technical side.
Sure, the mid-level bike's I own I drive them sometimes around. Not on a level that I need the latest and lighest gear. Besides, I want to drive the old stuff so I have to deal with the contra's compared to modern stuff.
But, ...is it inferior? It survived often more than 30 years and still doing it's job?!
Modern day's manikal search for weight loss comes at a price. Often literally, more often in terms as sustainability (carbon, aluminium mixes, fancy plastics, oil, etc)
Re-use, re-run and repair older gear and you enjoy and aappreciate more the older stuff you've come to this site for in the first place.
Amen 😀

In the past, I have upgraded various parts on bikes, brakes and drivetrain mainly, but kept the original parts. Then if I sell the bike, I can put it back to original spec.

Latest posts

Back