New Project - Fausto Coppi Lugano 53 - Neo Retro

fcsteel

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,
This will be my first post on the forum and I am super happy that it will be around my newest project: a Maschiaghi Fausto Coppi (90`s*) w/ Columbus Genius steel frame.
I have just purchased the bike and the previous owner already started this project for me by adding a complete Shimano 105 11s groupset on the bike, HUNT wheelset, Bontrager mimic seat, Vittoria Rubino pro, pedals look keo classic, and Shimano pro finishing details.
I plan to test the bike as it is, but soon to upgrade the wheelset and stem+handlebar+seatpost and saddle into carbon fiber options looking for stiffness and lightness.
The wheelset is tricky for me and I don't have any experience with upgrading to a better wheelset. Can you help with your knowledge and personal opinion?
I will post more photos as soon I receive the bike in hands (currently being shipped to me).

Attachments

• Coppi 1.jpg
    Coppi 1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Coppi 2.jpg
    Coppi 2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Coppi 3.jpg
    Coppi 3.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Coppi 4.jpg
    Coppi 4.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Coppi 5.jpg
    Coppi 5.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Coppi 6.jpg
    Coppi 6.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Coppi 7.jpg
    Coppi 7.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Coppi 8.jpg
    Coppi 8.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 31
Hi and welcome!

The Readers Bike 1998 section is designated for Mountainbikes - there is a specific Roadbike section above, with reader's bike sections both classic and 2000s.

Maybe some of the mods @raidan73 can move this into the Roadbike section. Nice bike though.

Cheers

Personally, I think you’ll enjoy this bike better with a quill stem and a set of compact drops. Trying to make it as stiff as possible is the wrong way to go on a nice steel frame like that. You’ll make it less nice to ride and fat stems and bars spoil the lines and look out of place.

Hi and welcome!

The Readers Bike 1998 section is designated for Mountainbikes - there is a specific Roadbike section above, with reader's bike sections both classic and 2000s.

Maybe some of the mods @raidan73 can move this into the Roadbike section. Nice bike though.

Cheers
Thank you!
I believe this was already fixed and its on the correct section now. My apologies.

Personally, I think you’ll enjoy this bike better with a quill stem and a set of compact drops. Trying to make it as stiff as possible is the wrong way to go on a nice steel frame like that. You’ll make it less nice to ride and fat stems and bars spoil the lines and look out of place.
Yes, I understand. I am certainly considering keeping a classic look with a stem and maybe bars but will depend on keeping the bike up to a max of 8.5kg weight....

As for the wheelset, do you have any recommendations?

Hey!
Finally I got my hands on her.
Rides extremely smooth and fast. Bike is currently with Shimano 105.
I just wonder which wheelset would have big impact on weight for me to get her lighter?
I’ll also be replacing saddle, seat post and stem.

Thanks everyone and keep riding! IMG_4224.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4240.jpeg
    IMG_4240.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4237.jpeg
    IMG_4237.jpeg
    483.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4233.jpeg
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4236.jpeg