Finishing tape for drop bars?

How about using a hose clamp
I use scaffolding clamps 4 needed at each end of the bar tape. My knees are in a bit of a state!

Just in case I get some frame damage I can rig up a replacement anytime I pass a building site!!

Ordered the rubber endy things. Arrived today actually. Not sure when I'll get time to fit but will report back on how they perform. If they are rubbish I'll use a pair of seat post clamps ;)

I wonder why nobody has suggested this before. (maybe because I'm too ghetto for this forum... LOL)
I reuse the original finishing tape and just smear a bit of strong glue on the last inch or so before you give it the final wrap. Has always worked great and looks legit. You won't be able to loosen it and use for a 3rd time, but that's to be expected.

That might have worked but the tape I have is a very thin rubber which didn't come off whole.

Some tessa fleece harness or automotive cloth tape will work too, maybe some heat shrink would work if you can get the diameter needed
This. Tesa 51608 cloth harness tape.

I saw a weight weenie use it bar tape on a lightweight hill climb build as an alternative to proper bar tape. It had bobbled to all heck by the end of his ride but for finishing bar tap (ie. a lower traffic region of the handle bars), it's brilliant.

Decent quality insulating tape every time. I've worked in some very fancy custom build bike shops where the instruction was to ditch the included finishing tape and always use insulating tape.

Never tried twine.

This. Tesa 51608 cloth harness tape.

I saw a weight weenie use it bar tape on a lightweight hill climb build as an alternative to proper bar tape. It had bobbled to all heck by the end of his ride but for finishing bar tap (ie. a lower traffic region of the handle bars), it's brilliant.
Thats the stuff, if its a good quality it wont bobble, there are two different types aswell, there is cloth tape and fleece harness, they look the same, cost roughly the same but have different purposes with one being more suitable to use in engine bays, so has better heat retardant properties so less bobbling

Back