Finally after 31 years a Vulcan appears!!

mk one":3ij07vuf said:
:cool: where did you find that? also liking the paint on it, is it original? and surely after all this time you have a vague idea of the parts going on it :) what forks for starters?

It turned up on ebay a few weeks ago and the best bit about it was the rear brake is in the right position and the chainstays finish at the brace which is the Vulcan spec i've been after for years.
The paints lovely and been done really well but couldn't tell you if it's original or not, once i get in contact with Dave Yates hopefully i'll be able to find out more info on this frame.
Forks will be handmade fillet brazed loveliness :)

As for the build mate,there's a clear clue with that Flite saddle which is going on the bike once its all done ;) :D

Re: Re:

MR OX":2pvchw46 said:
Looking forward to seeing this build :cool:

It should be a good one mate and a stupidly expensive one aswell because my Retrobike ocd has gone into overdrive for this build :LOL:

My bike collection is getting worried now for who will be for the chop :LOL:

That looks fantastic! I would say it's been refinished, only based on the decal style though, 31 years ago I think he was still only using the "oval" style (which I really wanted when I got mine built in 2002, but he didn't have anymore, so I had to go with this style lettering). Paint looks excellent condition either way!

Will follow with interest :)

Re: Re:

Spanky22b":14kr8eft said:
MR OX":14kr8eft said:
Looking forward to seeing this build :cool:

It should be a good one mate and a stupidly expensive one aswell because my Retrobike ocd has gone into overdrive for this build :LOL:

My bike collection is getting worried now for who will be for the chop :LOL:

I like a Man that's Focussed, driven, determined..... :cool:

Spanky22b":3fzh6fh4 said:
mk one":3fzh6fh4 said:
:cool: where did you find that? also liking the paint on it, is it original? and surely after all this time you have a vague idea of the parts going on it :) what forks for starters?

It turned up on ebay a few weeks ago and the best bit about it was the rear brake is in the right position and the chainstays finish at the brace which is the Vulcan spec i've been after for years.
The paints lovely and been done really well but couldn't tell you if it's original or not, once i get in contact with Dave Yates hopefully i'll be able to find out more info on this frame.
Forks will be handmade fillet brazed loveliness :)

As for the build mate,there's a clear clue with that Flite saddle which is going on the bike once its all done ;) :D

:D really happy for you mate.

Those forks sound interesting too.

Re:

So what's the plan for the build, well from the first time all those years ago i seen the prototype in Steels to the day i've finally got to own one all i've wanted is my own prototype Vulcan.

The first stage of the build i'll be getting in contact with Dave with plans on getting him to make me some curved fillet brazed forks and also a fillet brazed stem in a design of my choice.
Once all that's done then i'll be asking him to respray it like the original Vulcan.
I'll get in contact with Gil-M because i believe he has the original Dave Yates and M,.Steels decals on file.

While i'm in contact with him i want to know things like when was this frame made, what tubing, i believe it to be Columbas like the prototype. I know from the article that the parts were just thrown on for the test (cheers Ant for the scan) so i want to know what parts like the seatpost/bars were, why 6 speed was used etc. I'm not gonna do an exact copy because i want to do my own personal touch to it, like quick release hubs, solid axles is a no no :)

It's gonna be fun :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210127_173545.jpg
    Screenshot_20210127_173545.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20210127_172045.jpg
    IMG_20210127_172045.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
Congratulations on finding your unicorn! Sounds like a great build plan :cool:

Back