Fecked star fangled nut -- what to do?

Me too!

Sadly (luckily?) I didn't get home early enough tonight to do any damage.

My longest socket extender isn't quite long enough, so I'm going to order a new one of Amazon. That's plan A. Plan B is to hacksaw out the top bolt. Plan C is the driller killer! :shock:

Re: Re:

WandsworthRouleur":2ntkt0rr said:
Maybe! I did buy a 350mm masonry drill bit the other day!
You'll need a new drill bit, a new steerer and probably won't get either star nut or the bolt out..........

How attached are you to the top cap? If you're willing to drill into that, you could drill a hole at a slight angle next to the bolt (try to aim at the center of the star nut). Then jam a little flat-head screwdriver in there to prevent the center of the star nut from spinning, then unscrew the bolt out (shouldn't be super tight in there...hopefully). After the bolt and the top cap are out of the way, easy works with a drill bit to remove the center of the star nut then just use some pliers to yank out the two star bits. Repeat the procedure for the lower star-nut as well. If the fork steerer is aluminum, I wouldn't try to bash two star-nuts from the underside out (the damage could be too much).

Well, I finally sorted it at the weekend.

I did think about drilling out, but the on,y bit long enough was a masonry drill bit -- thought that might make too much of a mess!

In the end, a good few wallops on the underside of the SFN with a socket wrench extender pushed the top cap far enough out to hacksaw the bolt. Saved the nice Onza top cap too!

Bashing out the SFN in the conventional way did indeed reveal two SFNs (lazy bugger who sold me the forks!). Looks like the bolt screwed into both SFNs, somehow causing the top one to fail at the interface between the threaded centre and the star fangled part. Oddly the bottom SFN seemed in better nick than the top one.

Anyway, new SFN tapped in, a new spacer (wrecked the old one), and it's all good.

The Boy may have learnt a few new adult words along the way though!

I had exactly the same problem last night.
After some head scratching I gently tapped the SFN out from underneath. Luckily I had a steel bar 14mm dia and 2 foot long in the garage which proved handy!
Fitted a new SFN, all other parts reused.

Back