Fecked star fangled nut -- what to do?

also drilling out the top one might let you get at the one undernieth first so you arent trying to bash out 2.

in future id suggest not using a start nut at all, use a bung or a headlock.

Re:

Thanks for all the advice.

Just to clarify, the headset cap and bolt are in. I think the centre of the SFN must have been rusted, as the centre threaded bit is now spinning, but not loose enough for me to be able to pull out the top cap, bolt and broken centre.

The thing that is making this really tricky is that I reckon there is a second SFN below the broken one. Makes bashing through from the other side tricky.

Now wishing I hadn't bowed to pressure from The Boy to get the forks on as quickly as possible. I've plenty of spare SFNs!

is there a stem on it then?

I would try loosening the stem and pulling it up hard to put pressure on the threaded part of the sfn then turn the cap bolt with your allen key in the hope that there's less thread resistance than your pulling.

hope that makes sense.

upside down, long socket extension down the steerer with a suitable size socket on the end, and whack the SFN out, taking the topcap with it.

I'd use the "pulling on the stem and turning the allen key" method. (Have done that before, sufficient jiggling and the loose threaded insert jams up in the stars and the bolt will turn.)

If there are two in there you'll a) struggle to get them out and b) make a right mess of the steerer if you keep smacking it with a hammer.

Can you drill the head of the bolt off, remove the cap and get access that way?

(Then use the drill to dismantle the star nut)

Re:

You'll have a pig of a game trying to knock it back out from the bottom as they're designed to resist exactly that.

If that is the only option open to you, then try a thinner tool or tube just smaller than the inside diameter of the steerer so you are hitting the 'petals' (can't think of a better word for them) at the very end rather than whacking the centre of it. All that will do is dig the thing in tighter.

Best bet would be to get the stem cap off someway, even if you have to hack it apart, and knock it down and out of the bottom of the steerer.

Re: Re:

cherrybomb":nhjq5jen said:
try a thinner tool or tube just smaller than the inside diameter of the steerer so you are hitting the 'petals' (can't think of a better word for them) at the very end rather than whacking the centre of it.

like a socket on an extension bar? :D

Re: Re:

RickTheUncivil":26hz0h38 said:
cherrybomb":26hz0h38 said:
try a thinner tool or tube just smaller than the inside diameter of the steerer so you are hitting the 'petals' (can't think of a better word for them) at the very end rather than whacking the centre of it.

like a socket on an extension bar? :D

Yeah, pretty much exactly that. :LOL:

Hacksaw the top cap across either side of the centre bolt , do this again at 90 degrees and you should have weakened it enough to then destroy its strength. Knock the lot through the steerer with appropriate tools. This may damage the stem top so make a judgement call.

Back