Fausto Coppi Frameset [SOLD]

gavr

rBotM Winner
Fausto Coppi by Masciaghi – “53” in Columbus EL, plum metallic paint, complete with Record headset, seat post bolt and Coppi bidon. Looking for £250 posted in uk.

The frame is beautifully fillet brazed and engraved on the brake bridge and on the cut out bottom bracket, with concealed rear brake cable routing. The fork is 1 inch threaded, part chromed, with Campag dropouts. The frame size refers to c-c, and measures more like 55 cm centre-to-top, while the top tube is 54 cm. It has a lugged Italian sized bottom bracket. OLNs are standard 100/130mm, it takes a 27.2 mm seatpost and 23 mm tires - clearances being tight.

The condition is superb but decals, being superficial, are very delicate and are peeling a touch on the seat tube. There is slight marking to the paint where it has previously been built up and chipping in a small area on one stay behind the seat tube (easily concealed with matching nail polish but I’ve left it honest) – I’ve tried to give a fair representation of these in the photos, but none detracts from this stunning frame.

Columbus EL (Extra Leggeri) is Nivacrom steel from the early 1990s. I measure the frame, fork and headset built up at 2.4 kg, so it is much lighter than SL and SLX, and not to be confused with Aelle, Thron, Brain and the like. These Coppis still appear from time to time on EBay but you’re unlikely to find one like this, fillet brazed in EL tubing.

Masciaghi obtained the rights to the Coppi brand name after Fiorelli, and employed Giovanni Pelizzoli, an apprentice of DeRosa and of Ciocc fame, to design their better racing frames and the team bikes. The Coppi team bikes were ridden by the famous Team Polti including many star riders of the day such as Bugno, Virenque and Gotti.

Sorry to see this go but after my stroke I need to slim down my collection.

Attachments

• _MG_3512.jpg
    _MG_3512.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,398
  • _MG_3510.jpg
    _MG_3510.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1,398
  • _MG_3516.jpg
    _MG_3516.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 1,399
  • _MG_3500.jpg
    _MG_3500.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,399
  • _MG_3497.jpg
    _MG_3497.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,399
Re: Fausto Coppi Frameset

Anyone tempted? !

About the price, I was thinking £200 for the frame, £15 postage, and the rest for the new Record headset. I should add the frame was professionally prepped at Woodrups in Leeds...

Re:

That is a lovely frameset at a great price :cool:

GLWS mate ;)

Mike

Back